Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got an emblem that I liked to try to colormatch it to my truck. The one that was on my stock grill was way too big to look good. I got this one off the back of a Mustang Cobra. With the right emblem, the color match process is a snap.

I'm still not 100% sure I like this yet, I need to clean my truck up to make a final decision. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll clean it up then. Also, the pics make it look like a crappy job, but it's actually perfect IRL. I'll get some pics up in the daylight after I clean it.

Excuse how dirty my truck is, it snowed the other night.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
OK first of all your Explorer looks spotless, lol. But I think that looks REALLY good! Definitely keep it there and I like the emblem offset.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't think about it too hard because it looks to me like you have a winner! I like that look quite a bit!

Did you have to cut or modify anything to install the lower speed grills?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Very nice!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have to cut or modify anything to install the lower speed grills?

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to keep it.

No, the lower grills clip right on. No matter what the directions say, it's easier to take off the upper grill and install them from the top.

·
Registered
640 Posts
[..]

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to keep it.

No, the lower grills clip right on. No matter what the directions say, it's easier to take off the upper grill and install them from the top.

Thanks for the info.
I'm gathering all of these ideas and trying to decide what I want to do to the new Limited.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
[..]

Thanks for the info.
? I'm gathering all of these ideas and trying to decide what I want to do to the new Limited.

Thought you were going to two-tone it with safety yellow spray paint, and APC Type R duct tape, slap on some of them 22" anti-spinners with the crystal jeweled accents, drop in a couple of subs big enough to double as car seats, and mount a simulated floor shift "knob" in the console.

We've all been waiting for pics!!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
OMG! Don't even bring UP the shifter thing again! I'm trying to forget yesterday even happend!

I think Erics going for the APC Type R duct tape group buy spoiler wrap yellow accent look, sooooo, I don't want to steal his look.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sorry :sad:

I just wanted to say "knob"

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
looks awesome!

I've tried to make me some white emblems for my X but I'm having no luck :sad:

Did you make it yourself?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
:naughty: Jeff

That emblem looks great

I am still waiting for my grille's to arrive, I am hopeing that the upper one wont be too much work to cut out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you make it yourself?

Yes. Once I got my hands on an older emblem, it was pretty easy. (my generation emblems are different)

The worst part was trying to heat it enough to seperate the two peices. My heat gun is at my Dads shop, so I used a hair dryer and it took forever.
After I got it seperated, I just sanded off the blue, cleaned it, and spray painted it. Then I re-attached it to the back plate with Goop epoxy. Let it dry overnight and used some double faced tape to slap it on my truck.

Oh, and dwtc, how are you with Bondo? Becasue your going to need it for the install. 8)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It sure turned out nice

It must be something with the new model emblems, I have heard of alot of people messing up the emblems. The good thing is you saved youreself about $50.00

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the compliments!

When you take the new emblems apart, the chrome "Ford" is attached to the back plate. The insert is flimsy, and difficult to get out without ruining it. On the older emblems, when you take them apart the chrome "Ford" is attached to the insert, and the insert is stronger.

The major part is the "Ford" being attached to the insert instead of the back plate. Once you get that kind of emblem, the rest is easy. I turned a brand new 3rd gen emblem into garbage before I did this one. :)

After doing this little mod, I wouldn't even consider paying $50.00 for one. Pick up an old emblem for 12 bucks and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Oh, and dwtc, how are you with Bondo? Becasue your going to need it for the install. ?

I just noticed this sentence....

What am I going to have to bondo???

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Oh, and dwtc, how are you with Bondo? Becasue your going to need it for the install. ?

I just noticed this sentence....

What am I going to have to bondo???

Your mom.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts