Explorer Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out these pics. Just more proof that Ford keeps some of the coolest stuff away from us and sends it over seas. Notice the console mounted shifter AND hand emergency brake! I always envied the Grand Cherokees for having a console shifter and now I find out that in Japan I could have one on an X! Damn you Ford!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I wouldnt want a floor shifter, ever for automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If my console didnt' have a monitor in it, i'd love to have a console shifter, the steering column thing is too 70's-80's for me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems the Ausies have it too. Looks like you loose some storage area in the "bin", but that's about it. Guess it's personal preference, but I've always liked a console shifter. Feels sportier than a column mount shifter IMO. Besides, that little rubber lined tray at the front of the 3rd gen console is just useless.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my console didnt' have a monitor in it, i'd love to have a console shifter, the steering column thing is too 70's-80's for me.

Exactly. Picture a Mustang with a column mount shifter.
Not that I want an Automatic in a Mustang, but some folks do. (Like my grandma who has a GT convertible.)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would love a floor shifter. Not sure what it is about it, I just like the feel. I'm gonna do some research for the hell of it and see how much trouble it'd be to get one in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you DO NOT put a floor shifter in a truck..they belong in car's NOT truck's..column shift's are the ONLY thing that should be in truck's..they are turning the explorer in to a mommy mobile

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uh, I don't think it has anything to do with mommies. Has to do with user preference and the particular "feel" that a floor shift conveys. Now mind you, I would rather have a floor shift connected to a T-56, but that might be just a little extreem in an Explorer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
it has every thiing to do with mommy's..they want it to feel more like a freakin car..well it's not it's a truck(atleast foir now)..but if they keep picking at it it's gonna turn into a car :roll:

consol shifter's belong in car's NOT TRUCK'S!!!!

yeah the"feel" if you want it to feel like a car! :roll:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe they can stuff a pair of those twin sticks in it like an ol' Mack if you want it to be like a truck. Oh, wait, they would floor mounted. :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
you DO NOT put a floor shifter in a truck..they belong in car's NOT truck's..column shift's are the ONLY thing that should be in truck's..they are turning the explorer in to a mommy mobile
?
?
Uh...hardly. But I guess you're right though, man the new F-150 looks terrible doesn't it?!

Yeah, looks really feminine :roll:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Everyone, We need to start rethinking how we say things. Its not What you say, Its how you say it. I dont want anyone taking offense to anything. I have just been geting complaints about some peoples comments. Lets try and keep it clean and lets have some fun!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where's Eric when I need him.........
:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Oh, he's off buying a house or some darn thing, totally ignoring the important business here. Misplaced priorities. But let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and blame it on his wife

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's right, he's signing his life away.
it's all good, and I am very happy for him.

So Jeff, what's your take on the export third gen floor shifter. Curious what a fellow 3rd gen thinks.
:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think the floor shift would be pretty cool, especially if it came with a new dash that looked like that new F-150!!! But it would take away some usable space - I have a bunch of crap in that little bin at the front - remotes for the A/V system, CD cases, etc. Of course, it would look a lot tidier if I put it all away. The column shift has that "your Grandpa's Buick" flair to it that can't be beat.

I actually drove an old Econoline van once that had a column mounted MANUAL transmission. That was a real treat.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Late breaking development - The Aviator has a floor shift AND a cool upscale dash. So, really, if you'd dropped an outrageous 50 grand on your new truck instead of a mere 40, you could have had one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This just in: FOR SALE: One slightly used 04' Limited. Will trade for rusty farm wagon as long as it has a floor shift.

We considered the Avi, but $$$ keep us away from that. Lincoln has good rebates and financing as well right now, but the extra coin just pushed it out of range. But yeah, what the heck was I thinking? Another ten grand is just pocket change!

Oh, your not commenting on the feminine thing huh Jeff?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.