Explorer Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed coolant puddle under 1998 Explorer. Has 5 liter V-8. Found coolant alongside two metal tubes under intake manifold. Any quick fix?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It is possible that the two metal heater lines are leaking. They run along the pass side just inboard of the valve cover. Check it out. Many tiny leaks only leak under pressure when the system is hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant leak

Thanks for the advice. Would have responded sooner, but went camping for two weeks and just got home. Just before we left, I checked those tubes and they looked like they were about to turn to dust. They are a real PITA to get out. Thought about replacing them with regular heater hose even if I have to run a five foot line!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a strong believer in bars stop leak. I have used it in several cars and taxis and found it to work wonders. You sound like you might have a head gasket leaking to the outside of the block. Don't panic. It might not be that serious. Regardless, the simplest and easiest fix is a bottle of bars stop leak. dump the hole bottle in the rad or the overflow container. Run the engine for 30 minutes. You can go for a drive or let it idle in the driveway. Then shut the engine off for about an hour. Do not loosen the rad cap after running. The preasure in the cooling chamber will force the bars stop leak into all of the leaks or cracks in gaskets and around clamps. When it cools you will have a good seal everywhere. An added benifit is that irt will lubricate all of your seals in the water pump for a longer lasting seal.
I swear by this. I had a Chrysler LHS that blew the head gasket. I put 2 small bottles in it and ran it as a taxi for another 6 months. Then I noticed the temperature rising a little going up a hill and emmediately added anothe 2 bottles. 2 years after blowing the gasket I had a total of 5 bottles in it and sold it still running without leaks. (I warned the buyer.)
That is a lot cheaper than changing the head gasket. I carry a bottle at all times now. If there is ever an emergency a raw egg might get you to the garage. I have done that to, but it does not last long.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Bars is terrible and will do more bad than good. I don't recommend trying to put a band-aid on something that needs repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed coolant puddle under 1998 Explorer. Has 5 liter V-8. Found coolant alongside two metal tubes under intake manifold. Any quick fix?
Did you ever find out the name of the metal tubes. Cause that's where my 99 Mercury mountaineer 5.0 all wheel drive is leaking from

1 - 6 of 6 Posts