Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm reading a few posts in here and I've heard people mention about getting new paintjobs done, etc. so at least we have a few people in here with accurate estimates. My X needs a new paintjob really bad, and I'm wondering how much it would cost. I'm guessing $2k for a complete sand down, new paint and a few layers of clearcoat.

What have you guys typically paid, I know there are many factors that can affect the price but I'll at least be able to get a rough estimate. BTW I'm not talking about the fake paint jobs from Maaco.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yeah thanks for pointing that out. I would still have it black, yes. Gotta have the black.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, I haven't gotten an estimate either but I'm also thinking in the $2000 range, probably a bit more.

BTW, my main reason for getting a paint job is that the paint on the drivers side in a few places is chipping and when I removed my pinstripes, some paint came off with it. This leads me to believe that it was in some kind of accident (even though I checked Carfax before I bought it, though it might not have been reported) and repainted cheaply (read as: Maaco). There are no body fitment problems or anything like that, since I had it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic I trust but the bottom line is, I need a new paint job.

G

·
I too am looking to get repainted. Although the front half is already done. I'll prolly get it all done. We're gonna do all the body work and sanding to save a few bucks. My dad used to do body work, but our garage has become too dirty to paint in. So we're just gonna have it professionally done.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I haven't gotten an estimate either but I'm also thinking in the $2000 range, probably a bit more.

BTW, my main reason for getting a paint job is that the paint on the drivers side in a few places is chipping and when I removed my pinstripes, some paint came off with it. This leads me to believe that it was in some kind of accident (even though I checked Carfax before I bought it, though it might not have been reported) and repainted cheaply (read as: Maaco). There are no body fitment problems or anything like that, since I had it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic I trust but the bottom line is, I need a new paint job.

Wow Eric that is terrible that the paint quality is that poor. I can't believe that. Well that is for sure NOT an OEM paint job then. What color do you want again, a gunmetal or taupe gray right?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, the gunmetal, I think. I want something stock that they're not going to charge an arm and a leg for. I really need to stop in just to get an estimate.

Also, another way I knew it had been repainted was the pinstripe. When I removed the passenger side, it was one piece. When I removed the drivers side, it was 2 seperate pieces.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that is really bad...yep, that's definitely a dead giveaway too about the pinstripes.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have had a few estimates - ranging from $1500 to $3500. The one I am most impressed with (as far as going with) will run me $2800. That is with me helping no the tear-down. But when we get done, it will be show car quality. This guy sprays every piece separate (fenders, doors, etc). We will be breaking the X down to nothing but the frame and body, stripping it down, and starting from scratch - inside and out. He gave me a price of $1200 extra to clean and paint the frame.

My paint job will probably end up costing me close to $5000 when I'm done, but I plan on keeping the X for a long time - even when I have something else as a daily driver - so it is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
when i get mine done, i want like a custom either blue or green, im looking around 3K hopefully, never got an estimate cuz its still a ways down my list

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My paint job will probably end up costing me close to $5000 when I'm done, but I plan on keeping the X for a long time - even when I have something else as a daily driver - so it is worth it to me.
I hope it doesn't end up costing me that much but I'm willing to pay for quality. And I totally agree about the price being worth it, I will be holding onto my Explorer for a very very long time, and even after I own another car.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Paint job prices will very quite a bit, one of the most important and costly is having all of the trim, handles, mouldings ect. removed. That is the best way to insure that you wont have paint edges on the trim tha will allow the paint to start to peel.

Depending on how much prep (body work, dings, chips) that has to be done will also determine the price of the job, just make sure that the shop will stand behind there work for at least 1 year, different paint manufacturers offer the shops warrenty on the paint product (as long as the shop follows all of the prociedures and uses all of the same brand of materials) some have 3 to 5 years paint warrenty. You need to check what the labor rate ($ per hour) that can also very from shop to shop, most of them should be around the same. The best thing to find a good shop is to inspect some of the finished work.

When it comes to a color change, the cost will greatly increase, to do the color change properly the vehicle would need to be pretty much torn down (doors, hood, tailgate all removed) so that they can properly sand the door jambs ect. They can scuff the jambs and dust some paint in them with the doors, tailgate and hood on but there is a great chance that is will peel off and they would most likely not be able to get the new color on all of the areas (then it would be real easy to spot that the color was changed) The other thing to concider is the original color and the new color, when you get the little rock chips on the paint, the old color will show through (unless they completley strip off the old color) if they do strip the old color you can plan on adding alot to the labor price.

sorry so long but I have been in the repair industry for a long time and have done a few color changes on my own vehicles (it's a pain in the ass)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
So, you're saying that it would be cheaper, and possibly better, to go with the original color that's on there now? I may just do that, then. I like the forest green that I have now anyway, so that's cool.

Good to have someone with your experience to give us the 411. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks dwtc for the very informative response! :worship:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Youre welcome WilsonTheDog & Rob.

I think that youre Forest Green would look great once it has the new clearcoat, you can always have them put on a extra coat of clear coat and have them color sand and buff it (sand the clear coat flat with ultrafine sand paper and buff it out) it will look like glass if they do it right
Rob with that black you have to have them do it to youres, it will look great. Of course that will cost you but well worth it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely will be well worth it, I'll make sure I remember that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You wouldn't know it but I am really considering getting a new paint job when my income tax comes in. All I have to do is find a good shop.
Any specific reason why? Or are you looking to "upgrade" the paint, i.e. do a "kandy" style red paint, like that XP8 clone guy? That would look incredible, but would also force you to repaint all your trim and bumpers...again! That would hurt the bank.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Good info, dwtc! ?

You wouldn't know it but I am really considering getting a new paint job when my income tax comes in. All I have to do is find a good shop.

are we missing something in youre pics that you arent telling us????

it sure looks good in the pics

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
[...]

are we missing something in youre pics that you arent telling us????

it sure looks good in the pics
Pictures are deceiving aren't they? My x has alot of chips and tiny scratches from all the snowboarding trips I've been on. I hate when I wash my truck because I see all the imperfections up close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts