Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News $60 off Michelin and Bridgstone Tires at Costco, Bad News read on please.

I own a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 255/70 R16 factory wheels. I have done much research, including talking to Tire people at San Ramon and Foster City Tire Centers and decided to purchase the Michelin LTX M/S tire for my vehicle.

Well my wife gets there this morning at 10 and calls with the sales guy verifying I want the LTX M/S. 40 Min later I get a call saying they will not put the LTX M/S on my X. ARRGHH!!! Explanation is the max PSI is 45 which exceeds what Ford will allow for the X. They will allow the Michelin Cross Terrain or A/T.

Does this make sense to anyone aside from that one CostCo manager
: ?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yep, the problem is that the tires Ford replaced all the Firestone tires with would only allow 35 PSI Max. My stock wheels/tire setup is the 16" teardrop wheels wrapped in Michelin LTX M/S all terrain/radial tires, 255/70/16. They only allow 35 PSI max. However my Cobra R setup is 17" wheels, wrapped in Dunlop Grandtrek high performance street truck radial tires, 275/55/17, max PSI 45.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever so far with my Cobra R setup for the very short period of use that they have been on my Explorer. But hundreds of other people use this exact setup, like TAS on here for example, and have zero problems. They ride a HELL of a lot better then the stock setup I have as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I just went out to the parking lot and found the LTX M/S on a SUV and the MAX rating is 35psi. I checked Michelin's website and saw the same. This is a question of principle, the LTX and Cross Terrain are the same according to everything I can find, Costco manager just juiced me to spend $14 more per tire.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That's total BS!!!! My X came with tires that have 44 PSI max.!!! And I have the same suspension type as you. Just because it has 45 PSI max doesn't mean you have to fill them that full. Besides, my door sticker says 30/35 front/rear and I run 37 all around. I say buy the LTX M/S tires then take them elsewhere to have them installed. I hate shops that discriminate Explorer owners because of the whole dumb Fire-crap problems.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There's also the idea that you can buy the tires there and have someone else install them...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I know that when this set of tires dies I'm going to get a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos. If I get any grief from people for owning an Explorer I think I'll go off on them. I'm not one that gets pissed easy; it takes a lot to get me tick and to blow up. If they won't sell them to me then I'll tell them that I have a Trailblazer or something then and not to look at the badges on teh rear of the car when they are installing. This crap really pisses me off.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
My dad's Explorer has Toyo ST's. WOW do those things grip the road and give great handling. I really love those tires. On my stock wheel/tire setup, once the Michelin's go I want to get beefy Toyo ST tires on there.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The Toyo S/Ts don't come in the 255/70R16 size or at least it would appear that way from Toyo's site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts