Explorer Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 explorer sohc 4 litre motor. Car runs fine on the x-way until "cruise" is engaged....then after 5 minutes at highway speed (70) car loses power and engine revs go up. Stepping on the accelerator does no good. There is no power transfered to the transmission. If I stop the car for a bit and restart it and drive without engaging the cruise control, it runs fine by varying the speed...65....then 70 plus ....back down to 70 etc. Anyone have the answer? Sure would be appreciated. Explorer has 127,000 miles and has been very well maintained.
Also, (I don't know if this is related) brakes have an issue. I took it into a shop and they tell me that the brake fluid has been contaminated. They tell me I need a new master cylinder and front calipers to fix the problem. They claim the system cannot be "flushed". I am a little suspicious about this...but the cruise control and vacuum system may be a source to search related to the brakes because they feel like there is air in the system.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I don't understand why they would say the brake system could not be flushed out that seems ridiculous to me. I suppose if the speed sensor on the the brakes was damaged it would probably disengage the cruise control but that doesn't explain why the trans is acting like its in neutral. I would probably look more at the transmission than the brake system...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand why they would say the brake system could not be flushed out that seems ridiculous to me. I suppose if the speed sensor on the the brakes was damaged it would probably disengage the cruise control but that doesn't explain why the trans is acting like its in neutral. I would probably look more at the transmission than the brake system...
Thanks Stillaford. I had a more reputable shop check out the brake situation. The system can be flushed. They said the "abs" system was kicking in...and suggested new front calipers, rotors turned, and new pads. Then they will completely flush the system and put in new "silicone" fluid. Parts etc is $120...alot better than $433 first shop quoted.
I will check out the "speed sensor" as you suggested. No one mentioned this to me. But a relationship may be the salution to the "cruise control" issue. Thanks and be safe.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Buy a one man bleeder (~$6) and flush new fluid through yourself. What are the brake symptoms?

So it revs like it's in neutral? Sounds like a trans issue. Fluid condition?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply..IAmTodd. I did bleed the brake system after purchasing new front calipers and pads. The fluid did have a dark color present in the fluid from the back brakes. However, the pedal is still spongy. I bought self bleeder screws ...that may be an issue.
However, the issue with the cruise control is still present. I will just drive the Explorer without engaging the cruise....then it shifts and runs fine. Eventually I will find out what the connection is.
Be safe and Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts