Explorer Talk banner

Cruise Control Switch Replacement

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Napu 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently purchased a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT for my son. I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have regarding a certain repair. Specifically, the cruise control is not working (it is mounted on the steering wheel). I researched this online and it seems that this is a fairly common problem and involves replacing the switch, but it looks like the airbag has to be removed to do so....which scares me! Is this an easy fix, and is it safe to handle/disconnect/reconnect the airbag to do so? I don't want to mess it up and then have the airbag suddenly deploy when you least expect it! Thanks in advance for any insight...

#2 · (Edited)
Best way to get info on something like this is a youtube search, remembering it doesn't have to be a Sport Trac specific video, could be regular Explorer or Ranger of same generation. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Explorer+cruise+control+switch

Personally, if my child were either young enough or needy enough that I was buying them a vehicle, I wouldn't consider it an entirely bad thing if he had to pay more attention driving due to the cruise control not working. There are more distractions today (like phones!) than when we were that young. ;)

Besides, these vehicles are basically bricks on wheels and will get better fuel economy if they go slower up hills and faster down them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.