Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Id like to introduce myself to the forum, I am Stephen. I drive an orange 2003 mazdaspeed protege but my perfect gf drives an 03 explorer sport and i am looking to repay her for her awesome servitude by hookin up her explorer! she came from a beetle and is appaled byt he green light setup on her interior. shes got a nice looking cd player with blue and red lights and i am ordering 4 blue neons which i will wire into her car... the big question!? the green gauge lightups have gotta go! im not sure what to do tho. I havent pulled it apart yet b/c we live far apart so i am gonna need all the materials to pull it off next time i see her. i figure ive got a couple of potential courses of action- i can order blue guage overlays or w/e off of ebay but do the needles in explorers come off ok? has anyone done this? or- i can just try to replace all of the green leds inside the cluster with blue ones. has anyone done this!? what sizes do i need?! suggestions? i appreciate any replys i can get, i really want to do this for her b/c she deserves it. thanks guys!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome! And I think the best thing to do is to swap out the faces, others on the board have done this, Im sure they will chime in shortly.

AL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:-D awesome, is this in the wrong forum, i feel like im just kidna stumbling around here blindly even tho i have over 2000 posts on the protege forum haha :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
would these work?? i just read the post about the guy who now has his current gear display not working right.. im scared!! plz share the wealth laddies

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2461024290
Hey man yeah that's me. No these gauge overlays will work 100% for you. I swapped out an entire housing and thats why i was having so many problems. But I finally have it sorted out. It was just a LOT more problems then I expected. But these gauge overlays are simple to install and look great.

Also, yeah you did post in the right forum, so don't worry about that.
Welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:-D so much love! import forums are full of ricers who just make fun of people, nice to be here. is there anyway i could talk you into a brief how-to b/c i am not sure there will be one with the overlays. what i would like to know is how to basically remove everythng necessary to get to the gauges... also- in my protege when i replaced the gauges my needles are very delicate and if u pop one off u have no way of getting it back on :-O r the 03 explorers needles able to come off? thatd make things a lot easier. agian, a simple how-to would be great even if ur just guessin bout the last few steps for this particular overlay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool- i ordered the overlays, so now i just hope TFN can find a lil bit of time to help out a noob and post the how to

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i just recently heard from another board member that the 03 sport interior should be exactly the same as the earlier yr models. if thats tru i came across this how-to on another forum...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showth...=Gagues+install

tfn- does that show exactly how i would go about doing it in an 03 sport??? any differances?? whats an approximation on the procedure do u think??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DAMN IT. just got the overlays in and they DO NOT fit... check out the auction... the overlays look exactly as they do on the auction so they dont fit the explorer sport.... note the current gear display... who knows what the damn they fit!?! auction says no returns so i dont know if im gonna get dicked over by this guy. what should i do??? will paypal give me my money back??

Stephen

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
DAMN IT. just got the overlays in and they DO NOT fit... check out the auction... the overlays look exactly as they do on the auction so they dont fit the explorer sport.... note the current gear display... who knows what the freak they fit!?! auction says no returns so i dont know if im gonna get dicked over by this guy. ?what should i do??? will paypal give me my money back??

Stephen

Sigh...I just realized why the gauges won't fit. You got these for a 95-01 Explorer right? You just bought the gauges for the 2002-2004 4-Door Explorers. They use an ENTIRELY different gauge setup then the 95-01 Explorers. The 2001+ Sport & Sport Tracs also use a COMPLETELY different style instrument cluster. THAT is why it didn't work. You simply bought the wrong part for the wrong Explorer for the wrong year

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah bro, on the auction it says "2002-2003 Explorer Sport" but ur telling me that these fit the new explorer 4 doors? seller sent the wrong item... atleast i know what they fit thnx, ill kee yall updated

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok, I didn't even read the text, then this was false advertising because the image was for a 2002+ 4-Door Explorer....but yet in the text he says he is selling the gauges for a 2002-2003 Sport....

Contact the seller and tell him he is selling the WRONG gauges for the WRONG year + model Explorer...if he refuses to refund you your money or exchange the product you CAN report him to eBay but you have to do it within 30 days I believe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i looked on ford.com and zoomed in to the see the gauge layout and i dont even think it is for the new explorer. have any explorers ever had the gear display actually in the gauges so that the overlay would cover it??? the product we got matches the picture in the auction so check it out. it def does not fit "2002-2003 Explorer Sport" or any other explorer that ive seen.. lemme know

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The gauge layout you got is for the new 4-door Explorers. They have the digital mileage readout. It will not fit in your '03 Sport.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It looks like they are for the 4 door's they are completley different, they did list them wrong on ebay. Good luck getting the correct ones

These are the ones I installed in my 03, they are the Mountaineer guages

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
omg thats it, itd be a lot of help if sumone on the forum was interested and would buy em from us, i have recieved the item and can verify its in perfect condition... ill post in for sale if anyone here wants them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts