Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats up im buildin a custom bos this week but idk what kind of wood to use.. anyone got any ideas???

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Since the wood needs to be very strong, I'd use composite wood rather than natural wood.When building a custom subwoofer box you will want to use either MDF (medium density fiberboard) or if that's not available, a high grade particle board. Both are available at lumber yards and home improvement centers. Expect to pay $15-20 for a sheet (4' x 8').

You will want to hold the subwoofer enclosure together with a combination of wood glue and 1.5" drywall screws. Use a tube or silicone caulk to seal any gaps. This is very important when building subwoofer boxes. Polyester fiberfill, typically available in a crafts department, will help even out the sound of your subwoofer enclosure.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey whats up, i had an idea in my head and put it on paper.. and liekd it for a few days and now idk what i want. i liek the idea of an enclosed box with mirrors and what not. but then idk idk if it should be ported or not.. encolsed,ported,sealed i need ideas lol.. so if anyone has ideas ut there please help me out......idk if it it makes a difference but the subs are 2 10in rockford 1000watt peak with a 2500 watt rockfrod amp.[/img]

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Definitely have a ported enclosure because you'll get much better sound quality that way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is your X have the third row? I'm trying to figure out why my back seats look different from yours. Is it a different package? I have an XLT with the split 40-60 back row seats.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i have a 3rd row that itook out to build this box. its also an xlt idk if that makes a difference. my 2nd row seats r split 3 ways.... each seat folds down

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i have been thinking lately of gettong a new system not for a long ways down the road, but i want a more competition type system, what i was visualizing was a U type box, on the flat part have my amp rack and on the 2 sides coming out have 2 12's in each box, and maybe like 2 5 1/2 inch screens on the ends of the box

·
Registered
368 Posts
the difference between ported and non:

Ported will give u deeper, fuller bass notes. Non ported will kick ALOT harder, but will not sound as good with sustained deep notes. Also, i had a bad problem with nonported subs making the back panel rattle. Even with weatherstrip, and dynamat all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts