Explorer Talk banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
^ Although (as far as I know) the battery is considered a wear item and not covered under warranty, in this case of clear defect I would have contacted a Ford dealer and asked if there's any way to get that covered.

At least it's not a total loss, I mean that your vehicle is around 2 years old now and the factory batteries in these aren't the best, often don't last more than 3 years so at least you got within about a year of reasonable expectations for battery life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^ I wouldn't say out of nowhere. You just purchased it, meaning it probably had been sitting around a lot and deep drained the battery. They can put a charger on it and get it started but the damage has been done once a lead acid sits in a deeply discharged state for too long.

In your case it's actually a good thing, that you got a new battery when the original was a low end unit that probably only has 4 year life in ideal conditions, let alone real world. Now that you own it you can drive it regularly instead of it sitting on a lot senselessly draining the battery.

I have been thinking about mine recently, about low hassle ways to keep the battery topped off while it's sitting in a garage. The more of a hassle it is to recharge it, the less often and likely I am to do it.

The two thoughts I've been considering are a very lossy setup where I do put a solar panel on the roof, but then a directed LED light bulb shining down on it. That would be horribly inefficient, and yet AC mains power is cheap, and some will reflect off the solar panel and adjacent areas around it, so it is also useful as ambient garage lighting.

I just can't get over the inefficiency though, and then I'd have to put the light on a pole from the ceiling to get the light close enough and have the solar panel where it would also be effective for catching sunlight when outside.

My other thought was embedding a couple of rare earth magnets, perhaps in the bumper, with a circuit between them and the battery to trickle charge up to around 13.3V peak. By using magnetic pole orientation (north pole out on one magnet and south out on the other), a mating connector with the mating opposite-pole magnets in it too, would have the right electrical polarity (though a series diode could provide more proven protection) and it would just stick to the bumper.

However for now, my original '14 battery is still working acceptably. We had an extremely mild winter this year so it never had to start in very cold temperatures. I'll wait and see how long I get out of that battery and if it starts causing problems, will hook up a multimeter and log the current drain to determine if a trickle charger as mentioned above is worth the bother. I do already have all the parts I'd need to make it, accumulated for different reasons.

Purchased a new 2017 Explorer Limited, within 24 months we had issues with the positive battery terminal becoming very corroded. loaded with acid. I explained to the service tech that I believed that the battery was leaking/defective. They replaced the positive battery cable which was damaged due to all the corrosion, was partly eaten away. This was about $240!!!, yep for a cable, covered under warranty. They had total disregarded the root cause, which was the battery post terminal not being sealed and leaking acid. I took the SUV home, within two month acid was back. I cleaned it off. A couple of months later the acid was returning, took it back to the dealership, they said it was fine, of course we disagreed. Six months later the 36 month warranty had just expired when the battery died. They would not cover it. We also have a 2019 Escape SEL. Won't be buying another Ford.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts