Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Transmission in my ‘04 XLT 4x2 is history. I checked the tranny with an
OBD II device and got a code saying it was the solenoid block. I got a new one from the Ford dealer in the town where I was, but when we dropped the pan to change it there was a large pice on metal (along with a smaller one) in the pan.

So it’s time for a good quality rebuild. Does anyone have any recommendations for a company in the southern Georgia, Northern Florida, western South Carolina area? I’m looking for a re-manufactured 5R55S, not a simply rebuilt unit.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I got a tranny from Best Buy Transmissions. The 1st one was either bad out of the box or the mechanic that installed it did something wrong, It lasted about 5 months before complete failure. Best Buy Transmissions then replaced it with a new unit and I had a different shop install it. This one works like a charm! I did have to pay to have it installed but BBT paid half the cost back to me (shop time was listed at 7 hours and BBT pays $50 an hour for repaqirs, my shop charged $100 per hour). They shipped direct to the shop and were pretty fast too. I would recommend them if you need a new Transmission for your Explorer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts