Explorer Talk banner

Dead X

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·
Well I know someone else had a tranny go a few days ago and today mine just went I got in it and it no longer does anything. So I towed it to my house and going to have to call the Ford dealer tomorrow. 176210 it lasted I think the pump gave out because it still wants to shift into gear but no fluid pumping what a pain in the butt I just got it running right and everything always happens.!!!!

#4 ·
Good luck!! I hope it wan't cost too much to get you back in running order.

#5 ·
Well I called the local Belgian Ford dealership and they came and towed it away to the shop now let's see with one dollar and 20 cents buying one euro dollar and the three estimates I called and got from US dealerships I am estimating between 3 and 5k Euro dollars for a new tranny. Anyone know if the 5r55e fits in a 95? I know mine has the 4R55E in it may just go back with that and Baumann does make a kit for it the baumanator TCS apparently to change it however you want it.

#7 ·
Are you authorized to use a vat form, that should nock off a few %, its 16% in Germany

#8 ·
Not on parts and service only on SOME new things, was trying that too. Also trying to go through the AAFES , Army and air force exchange service to see if they can get me one through them only problem is they take two months minimum to get here. I can put it in myself just the waiting period. Anyone know if the 4R55E weighs less than 70 pounds? If so anyone feel like mailing me one? I'll pay obviously. It would still be cheaper to go through that Phoenix tranny rebuilder and have it shipped to me than them doing it.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Not sure can't read German
, PLus odds are they close before I get off work at 6 pm, most everything is closed by then. I will see what Ford comes up with they said they will have an actual cost for me by the end of this week. Apparently the 4025 Euro is the maximum it can cost if they put a new trans in it. Personally if they can rebuild it I am all for it.

#14 ·
Well I talked to Crazy Joe the parts guy at AAFES he said he can get me a remanufactured from Ford for 2200 plus a 1000 buck core charge, if Ford tells me I need a new trans I will order it and it takes two weeks for delivery here then all I would have to do is cart it down to the Ford dealer and have them install it since the truck is already there, AS of this Friday they had yet to break the case on it.

On a side note the new trans that Crazy Joe can get me is from Ford and comes with a 3yr unlimited mile warranty as well.

We will see what happens it has always been my experience once you replace the trans the engine wants to go and vice versa. Let's hope my poor ole X can hang on for another year and a half here, we decided to buy a new sport trac when we get back to the US in Nov of 05. I told her the only way is if we start out with the supercharger, granted they have a 151 rwhp but that is just not enough anymore.

#15 ·
Well Called the Ford dealer today to find out wtf was going on and why no one had called me. I talked to Jean-Pierre the owner who speaks pretty good english and he said that it should be ready Monday they had already ordered the parts and they were in stock,he said he would personally make sure it was done right. His goal is to keep it under 2000 Euro, he said maximum it would cost me 3041 Euro dollar's. He went on to say that if it was the 3041 Euro that would replace every part inside my trans with new ones. He's about making money but keeping his customers happy at a reasonable price.

#16 ·
Update on my X, as of yesterday the #1 clutch and #2 clutch were bad in my X apparently when they let go they decided to rest on the drum and scar it severely so waiting on them to get a drum for it and then it will get put back together, they do all the Military Police Explorer's we have here when they go in for tranny problems so hopefully all that practice makes perfect.

#18 ·
Well here is my last update and Rob can close this thread and get rid of it as it just takes up space. My wife went and picked up the X with a grand total of 2580 Euro at 1030 this morning. At 1045 she called and asked if I had an extra key as she locked them in it(both sets)and the truck stalled while she was inside. So I gave her the keyless entry code and she swore up and down that Ford changed it, so after about 5 minutes of debating me about them changing it I said F* it and got in the beater I borrowed and headed out there. 1113 arrived at the McDonalds she had stopped at to get her lunch, As most of you can testify it takes a while for your computer to re-learn after it has been disconnected, well what had happened she had left the truck running because the battery was dead when she picked it up and locked the doors while she went in to sit and eat and get me some lunch that was stone cold btw. So I try the keyless entry code and nothing so I peeked in the window to see the dashlights and there was none so I peeked over at the fan switch of course on MAX A/C fan on high. While I was on my way down there she called Ford and told them to come fix it.(more later) So since I was drivign a beater I had my tools and battery pack in the back so like and good acquiring agent(aka thief) knows if you can pop the hood most of the time you can disable sirens and such so luckily Ford did a crappy job of making the hood cable hard to get to so I popped the hood and put the battery pack on it and opened the door with the same code I gave her. So now the Ford tech shows up and my battery pack is kind of weak from using it to start the beater I had been driving and having to jump it all week. So he breaks out his jumper cable setup and he has no power coming from his cables so I bring the beater around and hook it up and it doesn't haev enough juice to crank it over so I hook it and the battery pack up and get it started.

So I tell the wife I will drive it out to the Air base and buy a battery once we get back to my job. That wasn't good enough they just kept going past the entrance to SHAPE where my job is. So I have this Mc Donalds soda in my hand and I go to take a drink and apparently a damn bumblebee had been sitting in my drink so I went to throw the soda not the cup out the window and throw the whole damn thing out the window as I was pulling over to go back and get the cup the Belgian police saw it and came to give me a ticket, what a day..I was walking to pick the cup up when he approached me with his ticket book and he gave me a ticket for illegal parking,failure to use hazard lights and put out the warning triangle in a non-emergency situation on top of loitering. So from there I got back in the car put my seatbelt on and headed back to work. About the time I get to work my wife pulls up in the X and asks me if the O/D light should be blinking. Should I keep going?

So we kill it and start it a few times and it continues to blink so I was like WT* so I tell her to park it and I will take it back, then as I walk around the truck to open the hood to check the tranny fluid I notice my damn chrome valve stem caps are gone. So from this time I just started getting more pissed. So I check the fluid and it is half way up the damn dipstick. Now that I am flaming hot I decide it is better to walk away and cool down before I become the bad guy I tend to get with my temper. So I fume for a bit and try to cool my heels and decide to see if it was just a computer glitch so I go out and (at1245)disconnect the battery and blam! it fixed the blinking light, So I drive it around a little and it does fine(1to130). So

I decide to open it up on the highway and it shifts fine the whole way through so I head back to work(2pm). So I go and fill it up since my full tank of gas when the tranny went is now at a quarter of a quarter tank premium fuel mind you. So I put in 68 liters of Premuim and get in start it up and decide to see how the idle does at taking off (2:15). Well it started going on it's own then the vibrating starts and the slippage the engine jumped to about 2krpm and then it slipped a little more and fell into 2nd gear. So I gas it hard trying to break the damn thing and it does fine. So my thought is it needs to be adjusted some more. Oh joy Bon Weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.