Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well, let's see...there are many things you can do. First, I would clean it really good. Then you can add things like billet pieces, different colored wire loom, paint some peices, etc.. It all depends on how creative you want to get.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you clean the engine? What products do you use? Do you use a power washer or just a garden hose? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
How do you clean the engine? What products do you use? Do you use a power washer or just a garden hose? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this.
To clean the engine I use Simple Green or Grease Lightning which can be found at your local Auto store. I first cover all electrical parts with plastic bags or aluminum foil so they do not get wet. I cover the alternator, fuse box, ignition coil pack, battery and your air intake if it's an open filter. I then spray the degreaser on the engine and use a small brush to loosen any dirt in the hard to reach areas. Wait a few minutes then hose it off. A power washer or a garden hose will do fine. Once you hosed it off, dry the engine with some towels then use a rubber/vinyl protectant on all the hoses and plastic parts. That's all it takes.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=25

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I just used Greased Lightning and it works great. The only problem I had though was I let it sit way too long and it dried up :doh:

I was able to get most of it off but there are still a couple spots. I know not to do that next time!

Id recommend that stuff though

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've heard that its a good idea to start the engine while doing the rinsing off, otherwise it may not start afterwards. Is this true?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was told that if you sprayed it while it was running that it would crack the block, is this true? Or is it just when your engine is hot?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Do not wash your engine with it running or if it is hot/warm. Even though you might not have problems, that is just asking for trouble. I don't even cover up the electronics. I do remove the filter (I have an open air), but that is about it. Spray the engine with Greased Lightning - hit it with a rag for the hard spots - and rinse it off. Haven't had any problems yet...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I have never had a problem power washing any engine of mine while the engine was running. I would also recommend that you run the engine while washing it incase it does not start.

I use SimpleGreen myself and Jessie it will not crack your block. If that was true you could not drive your X in the rain as water gets in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Only reason I would not do it with the engine running is because parts can heat up quickly. Then you spray G.L. or S.G. on them and it can tarnish pieces. Next comes polishing them to get them back to a nice look.

But I tell you what, if Tommy leaves his running, then it must be safe. He has THE cleanest Explorer I have ever seen.
You could spill a Dr Pepper on any part of his truck (though not advisable) and lick it off and not get hurt...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Right. You are not leaving them soaking in the cleaner. They are strong enough to spray on and start working then. Leaving it for even 30 minutes could probably do some harm, but once you start doing it, you are usually spraying it off within a minute or so. And if your engine is really dirty - clean it in sections...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts