Explorer Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone manufacture a high flow cat x or h-pipe for v-8 ('99)

explorers?? I've looked everywhere I could think.I'm keeping the

stock headers for now,and will be upgrading to 2 1/2"duals.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I haven't seen a X or H pipe setup made for the Explorers - they have all been made custom. I use a Catco hi flow 2-in-2-out cat on my X. I think Summit sells them. I bought mine from the shop who did my exhaust. It is a generic cat - I'll see f I can find the model number on it for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For the catalytic converter, I highly recommend the Carsound brand. I have been using their converters for quite a while now and have been very happy with them. They are a high flow low restriction cat and help in adding to the overall tone of the exhaust. Most high-end shops will carry them but your best bet it to know what size in/out you need and then pick one up on eBay. They can be found there for about ½ of what you’ll pay at a local shop or mail order house.

Chad

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Carsound and catco are the top aftermarket cats, both companies pretty much have the market cornered, they make most of them, regardless of the name.

Bassani uses catco, and imo there's no better quality exhaust parts, so...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help!! ...Since i'm mildly insane with the thought of good weather....

Exhaust port gasket match,intake port match to lower manifold port,cam lifter

roller rocker combo from comp cams or crane ...or..EE Blower for now..., and

do the internals later??? I Just turned 52,000 mi.My level 10 trans "Shift improver"

etc. is going in soon , and have 3.73's turning in the pumpkins already.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
How much money you want to spend?!?!?!?!

If you have the money, I would do the cam, roller rockers, injectors, adj fuel pressure regulator, and EE supercharger all at the same time. That way you only break the engine down one time. Plus, since you need a chip for the mods, you can have it tuned for everything at once instead of having to send it back each time for a new program for each mod. You are looking at around $4200-4500 to do it all at once - if you do all the work yourself.

I am doing my cam and roller rockers now since I have my Eaton off. Save me from breaking it down again...

By the way - John V - I need another small pulley to put back on the Eaton... :roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i'm starting to really lean towards EE's awesome blower package.I think

by the time i get into the engine,there might be some decent headers(wishful

thinking) available.By then,maybe i'll pull the whole thing and add some cubes

with a stroker bottom end and, even though the gt-40p's would be good(cleaned

up),something aluminum for heads....hmmmmm....decisions,decisions....the family

budget will only all so much at once!! XP-what are you camming it with??Are you

choosing by reading the specs, or going with mfg.'s advice ?? Back in the day it

was an E-cam,but now we have more choices for our heavy SPORT utility vehicles.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm doing the E303 and 1.6 roller rockers. A good all around cam - not too strong and not too weak. This engine has a lot of miles on it, and even though I have another crate engine in the basement, I would like to get as much out of it as possible. I've got a business trip to go on next week, so when I get back my Eaton should be back, along with my other things I have coming. Hopefully I'll have it put back together this time in 2 weeks...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck. Sounds like a real good plan.I'm curious about what crate engine lurks

in the basement.....??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts