Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyones done this? Here is my setup...

In my headliner, down the A-piller, grounded and gets it power from my fuse box on the side

I also can turn it on and off as I please too.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats pretty damn neat, looks a lot better than having a cord hanging down.

I never have bought a radar detector, Ive had really good luck with not getting tickets and I think that if I bought one I'd end up getting pulled over more just because I'd probably rely on it too much.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Why not just have it wired so it automatically comes on as soon as your car comes on? And why did you put the flip switches for the power on the lower console? Now you have two ways of turning on and off the radar (switches and on the radar itself) which seems kind of...redundant.

But hard wiring a radar detector is definitely the way to go, the lanky cord that plugs into the power outlet looks horrible. So good job

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've got a cord in my headliner for my old detector. It was wired straight to the fuse box like Rob said (came on with the key). Now I have an Esscort S2 Cordless. Runs on Batteries...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I dont have one because it wont work with my tint .. LOL

Ive gotten pulled over with a radar detector, but not without one yet ... "Knock on wood"

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I dont have one because it wont work with my tint .. LOL ?

Ive gotten pulled over with a radar detector, but not without one yet ... "Knock on wood" ?
You mean because you have limo tint, or because your windshield is tinted?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not just have it wired so it automatically comes on as soon as your car comes on? And why did you put the flip switches for the power on the lower console? Now you have two ways of turning on and off the radar (switches and on the radar itself) which seems kind of...redundant.

But hard wiring a radar detector is definitely the way to go, the lanky cord that plugs into the power outlet looks horrible. So good job

the radar has no on/off switch, and I wanted to be able to do so

·
Registered
19,808 Posts

the radar has no on/off switch, and I wanted to be able to do so
I'm not sure if yours is like mine, but if I turn the volume all the way down it clicks off.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I don't have a radar in my X but in cars in the past and they where wired direct to the fuse box, came on when I turned the key. Xchic nice install

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I did the same as eXplorerchic but mine has a switch on it and I just leave it on and wired it to come on when the key is on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts