Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had a bit of a nightmare last night whilst rushing, I turned the ignition key without pressing the brake down and the display cluster flashed up then quickly switched off.

After realising what I'd done I turn the engine on 'correctly' and the engine now appear to be running roughly, the AC had switched off (but came on fine) and the display cluster takes a while to come up and has a completely format.

Any help? Is it a simple case of 'resetting' the display cluster or I have i really messed something up?

For reference it's an 2014 Explorer XLT, with some 80,0000km

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
?? There is no need to push the brake down while turning the ignition key, unless possibly it is a manual transmission left in gear? Otherwise you have to put your foot on the brake to get it into gear after already running.

What does display cluster "has a completely format" mean?

Unless I'm making a bad guess, it seems like you have low electrical voltage either due to the battery dying or an alternator failure.

If it is the original factory battery, they usually don't last any longer than this so odds are it is that, but you could hook a battery charger up to it and see if it holds a charge, and you can use a multimeter to see what the battery voltage is when the vehicle is in the state you described, as well as whether the voltage goes up from the engine running to power the alternator, then voltage should be higher than the nominal 12.6V of the battery, trying to charge it.

A tip about the battery. Ford factory battery was a group 59 or something, but there is room in the battery tray to fit a group 65 battery, which is larger, higher cranking amps, yet cheaper in the US at most sellers. However you wrote 80,0000km so perhaps you are not in the US so pricing may vary. You just need to leave the battery insulator pad off which is only beneficial in the most severe of environments.

FYI it is good form to not only post your location city/state/country but also your engine and 2WD/AWD configuration, but the engine info probably won't make a difference in this case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts