Explorer Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2016 Limited has SYNC and I have signed up with SYNC. I tried to do an vehicle report and it would not install updates and told me that was unavailable. I called SYNC and could not understand the nice lady. She needs more English help. Surely a big feasure like SYNC does't expire and can't be put back on?????

2016 Explorer Limited

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
SYNC is the entire system running from the center console screen. It never expires, though you might have Sirius Satellite radio that expires if you don't renew it... think my '14 had a sticker on the window advertising it, which seemed silly to me at the time since it was just a trial offer (from the factory) of however long (2 years?).

There is something called "Sync Services" which Ford has discontinued on August 1 of 2018 which would theoretically affect yours. I'm not sure exactly what that feature is, appears to be mostly useful for people who need assistance with driving directions but only have the tiny MyFord Touch screen found in cheaper vehicles' trim lines. I'm sure it does more than just that but the limited research I did, shows most people never used it. Either way, seems there was so little owner use and demand for it that Ford dropped it so there's nothing that can be done now to get it back.

What do you mean about not installing updates? I am not entirely familiar with the newer version of SYNC but if it's got the capability to update over wifi and found a hotspot it can connect to, that would just mean there isn't a new update available. If it couldn't find an open wifi hotspot to connect, that could cause an update to be unavailable.

Otherwise the normal way Sync was updated was a new version was put on a USB flash drive and if you used a menu option to do an update and had no USB flash drive with an update in the USB socket, that might cause unavailable message too if not a no USB flash drive message.

Somewhere in your SYNC menus you should be able to find a version #. You could tend research the internet to see if a newer SYNC version is available. Do you need one, is something not working properly that is expected to be fixed with an update?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sync Services was a diagnostic check of your car engine, fluids, etc. which would send a report to your designated email. It is no longer available for the Sync system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts