Explorer Talk banner

Does your Explorer have a clearcoat from the factory?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I can't tell, or don't know

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a feel for how many of you out there have a clearcoat stock on your Explorer. When I was going around getting estimates for paint I was told Ford skipped giving clearcoats on a lot of their vehicles during the 90's...even through the late 90's. Of course there are a lot out there that have them but there seems to be the majority that don't. I know when I walk through parking lots I take a look at some other Explorers to see what condition they are in but also I've been noticing the paint more now as well (since its on my mind).

So...if you don't mind participating in this poll, I'd appreciate it! I'm sure this will be beneficial to us all to know. Just vote accordingly and of course, feel free to discuss!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yes mine does. That is why the color is called Silver Birch Clearcoat Metallic. I don't think Ford ever stopped putting on clearcoats but who knows. I have brochures back to '01 and in one of them it says that Ford uses a clearcoat for protection and beauty. Maybe Ford stopped doing clearcoats in the late 90s but then started again. Who knows.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
What does it look like when you have clear coat?

I believe the easiest way to tell is if you look under at the paint on the bottom side of your hood and then the paint on the top side of the hood, the top should be much shinier if it has a clearcoat. If both sides look the same there is no clearcoat.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sigh...I'm just black...and nothing else.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
A girl I know has a Black '94 Mustang LX V6. The clearcoat is peeling around the emblems, so it has a clearcoat. Someone used a screwdriver and stole the emblems, leaving deep gouges in the paint. Down to primer
Just Dandy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine has enough coats to cost more anytime something needs painting - White Pearl Tricoat. Color, then pearl, then clear. Perfect for discouraging amateurs to even try to match it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
:werd: even professionals have trouble with that color. But it looks so good
I would have gone for it if they offered it on a plain old XLT

It is such a
color

About the clearcoat issue, I have a book that says that all of the colors from 95-01 are clearcoat except Ivory metallic (code HA) and white pearl (code WF) are 3 stage.

Rob are you sure youres isnt a clear coat? You can get the paint code off of the door sticker and have it checked. If youre paint code is UA then it is a clear coat. (Note: the book is not always correct but it usually is pretty close)

I belived prior to 95 only the metallic colors were clear coat.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob are you sure youres isnt a clear coat? You can get the paint code off of the door sticker and have it checked. If youre paint code is UA then it is a clear coat. (Note: the book is not always correct but it usually is pretty close) ?
That is my paint code! Hmm... 8O

I was told that I didn't have a clearcoat, and I also find it very hard to believe that I really do have a clearcoat. If you saw my paint in person you'd know what I mean. So maybe the clearcoat is practically worn off?
I know that might sound silly but again you'd have to see mine in person. I will do that hood check though like Ryan mentioned and see what I find.

I guess thats a good thing if I do have a clear coat, but my paint sure as hell isn't like on the new Explorers :roll:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yea, my paint is crap also. I bet my paint in person would make you feel better Rob!

Ill check the code and hood as well

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob you should have a clearcoat but it may just be totally fu*ked up. I've seen a black Expedition in town with swirls like no other. So your paint might just be like that. But do the underhood check.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, but it's coming off in a couple spots. My paint sucks, what else is new.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine has clearcoat and it's holding up very well, even after 8 years. The only thing I can complain about our paints is that the orange peel is pretty bad. But I guess it's not as bad as other cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To find out if you have clearcoat or not, use some wax and an applicator and wax the surface. If the pad has the color of your truck on it, then you don't have clearcoat. Believe it or not, Lexus doesn't use clearcoating on their black colored vehicles.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Believe it or not, Lexus doesn't use clearcoating on their black colored vehicles.
Do you know why? That really surprises me. And I'm assuming its only on black vehicles?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts