Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's the story in brief:

Yesterday on the parkway my dad got rear ended by an asshat in an Acura MDX. The frame buckled, the rear bumper is pointing completely down. Amazingly theres just a few scratches on the tailgate. But the car FRAME wise (not body) is f____d. Jokingly I said to my dad, "Well if they total your Explorer, I want your engine and tranny"....he laughed.

So I brought the issue back up tonight and said to him again, hey would you seriously consider letting me do this. Well his first response wasn't what I expected - "Well, how would we do it?" I thought he was going to shoot me down or blow the idea out of the water. I explained to him that we could take both vehicles to a good auto place and say hey, heres my (black) Explorer, I want you to swap in the engine, transmission, and anything else thats required from the gold Explorer (parts)." I explained to him that we could literally part out his entire Explorer. Everything interior wise is in immaculate condition and everything from the fenders, doors, seats, console, steering column, everything could be parted out and sold.

SO he's really warming up to this idea and as long as the insurance company would offer us a reasonable price to buy the vehicle from them at, we're going to do this. He's more or less all for it. This is, of course only if the insurance files his Explorer as totaled. If not, then this is really just wishful thinking.

But this would be HELL of a performance upgrade and really I would go nuts knowing that I was getting a V8 swapped inside. And don't even think that I would go drive around like an *******. You guys know already that I have invested wayyy too much into it and I take an obsessive level of pride and care to it. Of course I'd gun it here and there but I really would want to mod the hell out of the engine performance wise and get it DYNO'd, and of course take it to the TRACK the real way to go about finding out what it can do.

SO, I really hope his Explorer gets totaled :roll:
... imagine getting an Explorer Express 5.0 supercharger on top of the 5.0 V8 engine? Holy s__t, that would be one hell of a Street Explorer!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
That would be sweet! That would be the very best way to do a V8 engine swap. Having your Dad's truck as a complete donor would help a LOT! There would still be a few items that would have to be fabricated. There is going to be a lot of labor involved, so brace yourself for a hefty price tag. But 5.0 Sport would be awesome! Did you say X-Charger? Yes,yes,yes! I am getting excited about right now. Dude, I would help you as much as I could on this one. But back to reality. You may noy want too get to excited just in case it does not work out. Your Sport has a lot of potential without the V8 swap. But it does sound pretty tempting. I will be waiting to hear what happens.

G

·
wow man....ur x would have some major balls....sorry to hear about ur dads x...but it seems that it may of happen for the good....hope u get that v8. that would be kick ass man. good luck to u...keep us posted on that

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be sweet! ?That would be the very best way to do a V8 engine swap. ?Having your Dad's truck as a complete donor would help a LOT! ?There would still be a few items that would have to be fabricated. There is going to be a lot of labor involved, so brace yourself for a hefty price tag. But 5.0 Sport would be awesome! ?Did you say X-Charger? Yes,yes,yes! I am getting excited about right now. Dude, I would help you as much as I could on this one. But back to reality. You may noy want too get to excited just in case it does not work out. Your Sport has a lot of potential without the V8 swap. But it does sound pretty tempting. I will be waiting to hear what happens.

haha thanks John, I wonder who's more excited here, me or you? I'm definitely quite skeptical on the entire issue and yeah I knew the labor was definitely going to costly, I think THAT is overall going to be the hardest thing to convince him to "get over" - that and the fact that on top of all of this he'd still need to buy a new car and he was considering trading in his current Explorer before this incident to get a 3rd generation - now who knows. So there's a lot of cost involved and a "big picture" to work with. I imagine he'd initally lay out the money for the swap but I would pay him back for everything. It's only fair that way.

I really, really would love to do this - and I sincerely hope and pray it DOES happen but again, I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible. Hell, they still need to declare it totaled and thats the single most important factor! So we'll see. John thanks for the point about my Explorer having lots of potential even without the V8...but it sure as hell would be insane if I got this V8 Swap!

frickea86, I will of course keep you and everyone else updated! Yeah it does suck for what happened...but it may be a "blessing in disguise" to me. WHO KNOWS. I'd sure have the baddest Explorer in the U.S.!!

EDIT: Oh and John what parts would need to be fabricated? Just curious, because fabricated == custom and custom == $$$

·
Registered
566 Posts
That would be one sweet, then you can join the 5.0 Club
That would be one quick X, the V8 is already beafy and with that light of a truck it would SCREAM
Cant wait to see what happens

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I want to join the 5.0 club. My dad has a '99 Mounty 5.0, but I don't wan't him to get rear ended. "Explorer Sport V8" seems really cool. You would have a slight weight advantage too. I would do the swap myself, and just get the driveshafts done at the shop, because I don't have the money for labor and it only requires tools and time (or so I have heard).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. Couple of things. How bad was the accident. If it was bad enough to declare total loss then maybe some of the drivetrain/transmission is foobared i.e. getting pushed up into the engine. Most donor vehicles for v8 swaps are rollovers were little possible damage to the drivetrain/engine could happen. Just a couple thoughts that popped into my head. I'm pulling for you though. That'd be crazy pimp.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Of course, if you're going to swap it, you might as well put in a performance cam, polish/port job, etc. I mean, you might as well go all the way for not all that much more money.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really stupid when it comes to hardcore engine work. What is the benefit or porting/stroking/polishing the engine, and what exactly IS "porting" and "stroking" or "stroked" engine mean?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Of course, if you're going to swap it, you might as well put in a performance cam, polish/port job, etc. I mean, you might as well go all the way for not all that much more money.

Not necessarily true here wilson,

This already may come out to be a high budget job to begin with.

Cam 200

Timing chain 75

Good head job 400-800

Misc. 200

You could also land up needing injectors 200

mass air 200

computer chip 250

This amount of work will provide almost the equivalent of a supercharger.

That's quite alot to add to the budget.

The heads can wait, the cam i would do with the motor out.

Rob, here's a decent article to help you understand heads/porting/polishing and valves.

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/power...eadScience.html

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe while I have your attention - how much do you think it would cost including labor to have the engines swapped? You know including all the other necessary stuff like the computer switch, transmission, etc. etc.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well, lets put it this way, labor on a motor swap for just a replacement in our area is about 700-800.

It's really hard to say roberto, i'd say like 1500 in labor at least, by the time your done.

You may be able to drop the motor in at your house, and take it somewhere to be finished and save alot of money.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest that's not even close to what I was expecting to hear. I was thinking more like in the 3k range when all is said and done. Do you know if taken to a GOOD shop once they could finally start the project, how long it would take?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'd expect a long time, most custom shops do a little work on yours, then work on someone elses, then go back to yours, and repeat.

I think you'd be without it for a month.

I'll ask around, the problem with this project will be you need a chasis shop for the fabrication, and a motor shop for the engine. Most around here, are one or the other, not both.

Not sure if you need a custom driveshaft too, that's gonna cost ya.

And there's a possiblility that the cost will be 3000, i just threw a number out there. Because i'm not sure of the fabrication involved.

I wouldn't do this job, i'd just buy a 4-door 5.0.

weigh the benefits out.

1. Only person with a 5.0 in a sport

2. rare

3. lighter more powerful

reasons not to do it.

1. By the time your done $$ wise you could of gotten a loan for that real red xp8

2. Maintainance costs will be higher since you'll have to goto better shops

3. You won't have a car for a long time possibly

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ouch. This may take some extraordinary convincing and reasoning! I mean what the hell is my dad going to benefit from this?
: I know I can get whatever I don't need parted out and sold but enough to encourage him to go ahead with this swap?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well, the insurance company will probably sell it to you dirt cheap. i'd say 500-1000.

Parting out a vehicle is not as easy as it sounds. Plus you have some piece of crap totalled vehicle in your driveway for weeks.

I'd pull the motor the trans, and other expensive stuff immediately, and call blueit's to come and get it. Trust me, it will be an eye sore and your parents will start getting on your case.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dad mentioned the fact about what we would do with the car if we were to part out the rest. I said maybe put it in one of those rental storage places, like what is on Jackson Mills/County Line and on Route 9.

You really think the insurance company would sell it that cheap? Damn that is dirt cheap. How much would he get then from blueits or do they just take it?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Hey Rob that sounds awsome!!! That's better than getting an engine and tranny out of an X that you don't know how it's been cared for. I know it would be one hello of a project. Hopefully you can get it done. I'm prayin for ya buddy!!

Also, what would your Dad get for a new vehicle? '04 Explorer w/ 4.6L?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rob, what year is your Dad's 5.0?

We're going to be doing a V8 swap on a '97 V6 4 door in two weeks. I'll make sure and post a decent (hopefully) write-up on it. But a 5.0 Sport would be bad ass. And it's a lot easier than most people think. So don't let anyone who has never done it get you down by telling you it's not worth it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts