Explorer Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Friday night my Door Ajar light came on and stayed on after I jumped into my Explorer. I got out, checked all the doors, and still have the "door Ajar" in my Message Center and the interior lights on with the puddle lamps.

I sprayed all the door latches with a lubricant. I Reset the Message and drove home. As soon as I started driving, all the lights shut off. I thought I had it go away. Once I got home, before I got out, I opened all my doors starting with my passenger door, then moved to the back doors. The interior lights came on, and sht off once the doors were closed. Then I opened my driver's door and the interior light came on and stayed on after I closed it, so I'm sure it's in the Driver's door.

The question is, what do I need to do to fix the problem?

It's a 03 Limited.

Thanks In Advance for your help !!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Ok I'm guessing here, but perhaps there's a positive ground where when contact is made to complete the circuit, the door ajar light and interior lights shut off. Having the ground open causes the lights to stay on. If this is the case, then perhaps there is a bad ground somewhere in your driver's door. I don't know if you have any wiring experience w/ audio/video components in cars but for my head unit which has a video input source they have a positive ground wire you're supposed to connect to the parking brake to be able to watch videos (that way you can't watch and drive at the same time) but if you ground the wire to any common ground it will allow you to watch the movies while moving (fooling the H/U into thinking the parking brake is engaged). I use this merely as an example.

Aside from this possibility getting a hold of some wiring diagrams would be the way to go. Find a starting point in the circuit and work your way back. Hope you can figure it out.

BTW: My '96 does the exact opposite as yours. No lights come on when the driver's door is opened, alarm won't go off, windows will still roll down with car off, etc. ONLY ON DRIVER'S DOOR! All other doors function normally. It was never an issue for me so I never tracked down the wiring problem. Good luck man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What switch did u replace having same issue on 2013 and had door latched replaced and issue continues

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
^ You can either pull the BCM connector and use a multimeter to probe for continuity to (chassis) ground for each door's wire in turn, or pull the door panel off and check for ground on the connector wire terminal on the latch, with the latch moved to the latched position (remember to flip back to unlatched position prior to closing the door when finished).

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, Friday night my Door Ajar light came on and stayed on after I jumped into my Explorer. I got out, checked all the doors, and still have the "door Ajar" in my Message Center and the interior lights on with the puddle lamps.

I sprayed all the door latches with a lubricant. I Reset the Message and drove home. As soon as I started driving, all the lights shut off. I thought I had it go away. Once I got home, before I got out, I opened all my doors starting with my passenger door, then moved to the back doors. The interior lights came on, and sht off once the doors were closed. Then I opened my driver's door and the interior light came on and stayed on after I closed it, so I'm sure it's in the Driver's door.

The question is, what do I need to do to fix the problem?

It's a 03 Limited.

Thanks In Advance for your help !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with my '04 XLT. Try this (it won't "fix" the problem but it might get the light to go out). With engine running and all doors shut turn your dash light dimmer all the way off (until it clicks) then turn it back on. On mine this will make the Door Ajar light go out. If I leave my dimmer switch on and shut the engine off my interior light stays on and when I lock it the horn beeps twice. So when I get ready to get out I always turn my dimmer switch off and don't turn it back on until I am ready to go somewhere again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts