Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im looking for help in a big way. I have a '03 X that has a double din factory radio. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is at all possible to install 2 seperate single din units in the original double din space. I am hoping to install a pioneer headunit and also a pioneer electronic equalizer. Both are single din units. Any thoughts?? I do not like the look of installing a single din by itself into the double din space( nothing personal to anyone who has done that) thanks! Lenny

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was of the impression that its not a full double DIN opening. More like 1 3/4. Nobody lists any double size receivers as fitting an Explorer. I'm not 100% certain, but from the looking I did before I did my system, I'm 90% sure

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I was of the impression that its not a full double DIN opening. More like 1 3/4. Nobody lists any double size receivers as fitting an Explorer. I'm not 100% certain, but from the looking I did before I did my system, I'm 90% sure
It's strange, I've been told Explorers have a double din but then also I have people swear its not a double din, then they look it up in their book and they see it is a double din.

Let's put it this way, I've seen a double din aftermarket headunit installed in an Explorer without any modifications and it fits perfectly. Of course this would be the case as the stock headunit is a double din.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Its confusing as hell. When I was looking at options for what to do for the system in my '02, sources like Crutchfield swore an aftermarket double DIN would not fit, and they wouldn't sell me one.

Of course, Tirerack also told me my tires wouldn't fit, and I'm pretty sure 10,000 miles later that they do. Go figure

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
You can get a double din to fit but it requires some cutting i believe.

Jeff Tirerack probably told you your tires won't fit because they are afraid to get sued because you own an Explorer and it might flip over. Damn firestone recall sh!t.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the explorer radio is in fact a double din and if i were to buy a double din after market radio, it would fit. The only problem is i have yet to find an aftermarket radio that isnt a cassette/cd. I dont want a cassette player as i have never owned a cassette. A friend of mine has a chrysler and his truck is either a 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 din. I forget which. My problem is i want to mount 2 seperate units each being a single din into my double din space. When i first thought of the idea it sounded like it would be so easy.....I should have known better. Thanks for the replies so far! Lenny

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes you can put 2 single din units in the space but you mite have 2 fab up a good looking face plate or do something with the trim rings around both units because if you dont you will see an ugly gap between both units

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey thanks ! I actually just changed the Front speakers to JL XR 5.25 components, and changed the rear speakers to JL Tr Coaxial 5x7's , And i got the screen and the navigation/dvd unit. I had those 2 extra screens fiberglass in there for me. THe Subs are JL w3s andthe amps are fosgate 800a2 and 200a4 , I really want to get the JL 5 channel amp and ditch my box and fiberglass a w7 10 into a stealth enclosure.... I need the space to move my drums around for gigs...

NIck

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't know about the 03's, but a double din does fit:

I did have to sand and shave a small bit of the hole on the plate, but there is plenty of room ni the dash for one...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If its not too much trouble, and whenever you have a chance, can you measure the height of the radio. Also, thats the first Alpine double din i have seen, can you tell me what model it is. Thanks Very much! Lenny

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If its not too much trouble, and whenever you have a chance, can you measure the height of the radio. Also, thats the first Alpine double din i have seen, can you tell me what model it is. Thanks Very much! Lenny

Sorry for running late...

I'll measure the radio when I get home this afternoon. Can't remember the entire model number, but its about 5 or 6 years old, and ends with 883. Something like WDA-883 or something like that. I know Alpine does not make any double dins anymore.

I'll get everything for you when I get home - and get a few bettewr pics for you...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help, when i saw your alpine i went in search of, and found none, but i am interested as to the meausrements as some people say a double din will fit, and some say it wont. I think the actual measurements will solve that problem. Thanks again for your help!! Lenny

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
the explorer radio is in fact a double din and if i were to buy a double din after market radio, it would fit. The only problem is i have yet to find an aftermarket radio that isnt a cassette/cd. I dont want a cassette player as i have never owned a cassette. A friend of mine has a chrysler and his truck is either a 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 din. I forget which. My problem is i want to mount 2 seperate units each being a single din into my double din space. When i first thought of the idea it sounded like it would be so easy.....I should have known better. Thanks for the replies so far! ? ? ?Lenny

Eclipse makes a Double Din Screen that includes full map navigation and it's pretty tight. It will definately fit in the 02 up Xs. Go check it out on their web site:

www.eclipse-web.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts