Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I decided to take of my door molding/tupperware but after removal which was a biznatch there is double sided tape everywhere, I just wanted to know what you all would use to remove it besides a ton of elbow greese and fingernails ... LOL, Anyways please help me out! Thxs!

AL

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Elbow grease, fingernails, bug & tar remover, and sometimes a little heat from a blow dryer. Unfortunately, even with the other stuff, elbow grease and fingernails are still the biggest ingredients

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If you had access to a body shop they have a rubber wheel that will take that right off (it's like a big eraser) they shouldnt charge you very much and it's the best and fastest way to get it off and it wont hurt the paint, other wise you will be doing alot of rubbing

·
Registered
268 Posts
You could try some goo gone (I think that's what it's called) I used it to remove the tape residue after I removed the molding on my project cherokee. Just be happy the previous owner didn't try and super glue it on!
It's a good thing I am rhino lining the bottoms of the doors on it...

Chad

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try some goo gone (I think that's what it's called) I used it to remove the tape residue after I removed the molding on my project cherokee. Just be happy the previous owner didn't try and super glue it on! ?
?It's a good thing I am rhino lining the bottoms of the doors on it...

Chad

Im going to try Goo Gone first .. if that doesant get me anywhere Im going to go to the body shop for the eraser (Which is ment for pinstripe removal). Thxs again guys!

AL

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, just tried the damn goo gone and that stuff sucks! Im going to a body shop tommorow and am going to get the paint matching quoted as well.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Glad you got the stuff off.
Let us know what the quote on the paint is too.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
3M makes one of the erasers that will work in a regular drill that you could buy at a parts supply store, I went on the 3M site and they list so many things that I couldnt find the part but we used one of them in one of our meetings and we just used a drill, they make different wheels for the air tool and the drill. It worked real good, we did the body side mouldings on a Sable and Sunfire and it took the adhesive off pretty quickly with the drill . good luck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys, went too two shpos today and one was going to charge me 65$ labor to do it ...
And the other didnt have an eraser. I also got a price quote for paintmatching and its going to run me 300$ for two bumpers, Grill and the EE dam. Keep in mind this was at a body shop in Orlando. Im still not home so Ill keep you all updated on my findings back home.

P.S- This body shop was painting Ferraris .. so for 300$ I think its a killer deal! I may just come back up here to get it done when the time comes.

P.S.S- Any other suggestions, bec I hate the way this double sided tape looks, yet nothing I have will take it off.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
they want $65.00 to take off the adhesive and only $300 to prep and paint the bumpers and grille......makes no sense

Thats not a bad price to have the parts painted though.

I guess $65.00 isn't that bad, I think the eraser tool cost around $35.00 or so and it will probibly not that bad, of course you can always use youre thumb (ouch)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
$300 for the grille, bumpers and airdam is an excellent price.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
$300 for the grille, bumpers and airdam is an excellent price.

:werd:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it just adhesive left over, or is it part of the tape too? I say give mineral spirits a try, does wonders for adhesives.

Whats mineral spirits ?? Is it some sort of spray or cleaner ??

And yes 300$ seemed like a killer deal to me ... I think I will come back here for the painting and will drive back real slow so i dont mess it up on the way down.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Lets just say, I just spent $300 on an exterior upgrade that is minute in comparison to your monotone estimate. 8O

Mineral spirits can be found at any paint store, and is a cleaner of sorts, yes.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It's basically a very very mild paint thinner. Won't mess up your paint though. I've cleaned several car surfaces, including my own, with it, doesn't do anything to the paint, but tears up that left over adhesive like a mother *censored*er. Home depot, right next to the paint thinner/acetones/mek/etc.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok guys, I bought the Mineral Spirits and Im sad to say it didnt do anything .. LOL

Then went back for some Goof Off, NOT Goo Gone ... and that did the trick! Sprayed it on let it soak and then used a plastic putty knife to scrape the crap off. After about 2 hrs of intensive labor it came out GREAT! Il post pics tommorow when its sunny out. Thxs again for all the help!

AL

P.S- Im not messing with double sided tape anymore!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I could be wrong but I was told Goof Off was damaging to car paint.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could be wrong but I was told Goof Off was damaging to car paint.

I read the instructions before applying and it said it was safe on paint, but to wax after use for further protection which I did ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts