Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how many CFM it would take to keep your X cool? I am looking at a 16 inch puller fan with the wiring kit for 83 bucks from this place http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Electric Just don't know if 1800 cfm would keep it cool enough odds are it will but who knows. Anyone with input?

Had to add in my search this link to an apparent X that has a 4.0L and 260 hp. He does the quarter mile in 15.4 OR so says the website.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/default.as...categorycd=EFAN

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I highly doubt it will cut it. It's a heavy vehicle so it creates alot of heat.

Also, i would never use a fan without a shroud for street driving. Makes a major difference. Measure your clearance from the radiator to the nearest pulley. There's only 2 electric fans i'd trust, the lincoln mark 8 and the 95 mustang, unfortunately they take up alot of room, i know that both are too deep for my truck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well fortunately Joe with that tiny A## V-6 in there I have plenty of room to put a fan in there a 16 inch should do the trick but 1800 cfm on a 16 incher sounded kinda low so I have been shopping around ebay after I get through another 100 sites Found a few 16 inchers that put out around 2300 cfm puller wise.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Never listen to those numbers, and remember you need a shroud (IMO). If you can fit the lincoln mark 8 fan, do it, it pulls like 4000 cfm through a shroud.

If you want to use that style fan that you listed, use 2 of them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am thinking puller fan 2500 cfm is about right I plan on keeping my existing shroud on there. I need to measure the diameter of the fan opening and may go with a puller fan mounted right in there and a smaller pusher fan from the other side. Also Ford was kind enough to remove my transmission cooler and valve stem caps for me while it was there so I need to purchase those again. Summit seems to have a wide variety of fans some especially for Ford as with everything I will shop around for a while to find what I want at the right price though.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I still wouldn't do it that way. Although i'm not sure of the availability of the fans i suggested to you. I tend to forget where you live.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Joe as far as availability I have ebay!!! As I was browsing ebay I clicked back over here to see the responses and low and behold I was putting a lincoln Mark VIII electric fan in my ebay as well as an elect fan from a Police Interceptor model a 19.5 inch diamater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts