Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when I went out today to take a look at my suspension I noticed that something wasn't right... it was my end link broken off of the swaybar but still attached to the lower control arm. BTW, I took two pictures of it with my phone. Will post when I get a chance.

Now it all makes sense why I don't always here the knocking sound... just sometimes. I still have a squeeky noise and can't figure out where it is coming from. I'm thinking it is the ball joints.

What should I use to grease all the bushings so that maybe the noise will go away?

I call Advanced Auto Parts and the end links are $10.99 each side. Is there something else that would be better for me to go with? Also, are they just like the factory had on there or are they shorter since it has Racecraft Suspension from Saleen?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Get Energy Suspension endlinks and bushings. I just put them on my front end a couple weeks ago. The kit is $39.95 from Autozone or Explorer Express. You might want to check on the length since you have a different suspension.

And, I would grease everything up to eliminate the squeak source.

ENERGY-SUSPENSION SWAY BAR BRACKET BUSHING

That's the kit I got. The 'R' is for red and the 'G' is for black.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, its the Saleen Supension that I have... I know that someone with an XP8 will jump in here.

Also, I have a AWD Explorer... will that matter on what kit I get?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I started a thread about it here: http://explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=Foru...viewtopic&t=917 but are you talking about stock or the poly bushings like Energy Suspension? You can see the reponses in the thread there but if you want the stock ratings, I'll have to check at home and get back to you on that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Get Energy Suspension endlinks and bushings. I just put them on my front end a couple weeks ago. The kit is $39.95 from Autozone or Explorer Express. You might want to check on the length since you have a different suspension.

And, I would grease everything up to eliminate the squeak source.

ENERGY-SUSPENSION SWAY BAR BRACKET BUSHING

That's the kit I got. The 'R' is for red and the 'G' is for black.

Will this benefit my truck in any way ???

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
281, mine broke about a week or two ago. Goto ford and get the replacement in my opinion because Energy suspension doesn't make the right length. They are 1" short. The sway bar ends should be level with the truck on the ground. I got new ones at for for 7 bucks (i get 20% off) so that's not alot. It's a revised part number they will give you, since the olds ones broke alot, i'll bet your ford dealer even carries them.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

Will this benefit my truck in any way ???
Sure. It tightens up your suspension. Less give in the poly bushings than the stock rubber bushings.

That's what I was talking about, Joe. I wasn't sure if it would be different on a Saleen.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
BTW, the torque specs according to my '99 Ford Service Manual cd for the end link are 15-21 lb. ft. Again, I don't know if that would be the same as yours with a different suspension.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Eric, from the info you gave me on the end links, which i believe was 4.5 inches, Stock explorers (or at least 2000's) use 5.5 inches. Were yours rubber? My factory ones weren't rubber, nor were the replacements I used. Saleen just left the stock ones, since there wasn't a right length replacement. There's 0 flex in the factory ones, probably the reason they break on people, that and the bolt design was poor and supposidly they unscrew themselfs. That's why ford revised them.

281, with the endlink broken, you couldn't tell while driving? My truck was all over the road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It did seem a little bit loose to me... But the roads are soooo bad around here that anything seems loose
Then I looked at it and saw that it was broken. I got the replacement at Pepboys for $4.99 Its already on and is alot better now.

I measured mint and they were around a total of 10" long. When I do the ball joints and tie rods I will be taking pictures of that and will get some of the end links.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Eric, from the info you gave me on the end links, which i believe was 4.5 inches, Stock explorers (or at least 2000's) use 5.5 inches. ?Were yours rubber? My factory ones weren't rubber, nor were the replacements I used. ?Saleen just left the stock ones, since there wasn't a right length replacement. ?There's 0 flex in the factory ones, probably the reason they break on people, that and the bolt design was poor and supposidly they unscrew themselfs. ?That's why ford revised them.

281, with the endlink broken, you couldn't tell while driving? ?My truck was all over the road.
They bushings definitely were rubber. Even as old as they were, you could tell they weren't poly. The length, I can't remember now.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
s281, the measurement for endlinks goes by the inside shaft not the whole thing, because that's what determines how far the arm is from the sway bar. Also you don't include the bushings just the shaft in the measurement.

Eric, i think you are me are confusing each other
: I was just talking about the bushings on the endlinks, not the sway, i think that's were we lost it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, Saleen. Go measure your shaft.

Ermm......I'll look. I believe I stuck the old ones in a box and threw it in the garage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts