Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS guy was nice enough to drop off a little package for me this afternoon so I got to do a little modification work.

I decided that since I have my Explorer Express rear swaybar installed I should try to improve the adhesion at the front end as well. About the only option for 98+ X's is to install polyurethane swaybar bushings and shorter poly end links. I used Energy Suspension greasable swaybar bushings and a set of their end links.

Installation is just a simple remove/replace affair and only takes about 45 minutes. The pieces appear to be of good quality and will only set you back about $25-$27 dollars.

I was skeptical, but I actually could feel a noticable improvement. The front end feels more "planted" and it seems to have a bit less body roll. I will have to do more "seat of the pants" testing, but I noticed a difference right away. All and all I think it is a worthy mod especially considering the price and ease of install!

1998 and up with 34mm front swaybar will utilize the following part numbers:

9.5167 (greasable swaybar bushings)

9.8121 (end links)

add an R or G to the end of each number to specify red or black color.

Happy modin'

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Cool! Can't wait till I get an X-Spec suspension kit.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I was riding around with a broken end link(stock) for a few months before finding it. haha . Man, What a difference after I replaced it
. This was a few months ago, and I just replaced them again with EE's bar links(didn't know they were coming with the bushings :roll: ). Oh well, the newer the better

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to do a little more "testing" last night and will reinforce that this is an effective mod. The only negative aspect is that the polyurethane transmits a bit more "harshness" into the cabin compared to the factory rubber pieces. This is only noticable on rough pavement and is more than worth the trade off for the additional handling power. After pulling some high speed "slalom tests" I think my wife will soon be afraid to ride with me in the X and is quite convinced I am insane!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey girl, Summit has what you need!
Red or black. Just use the part numbers I listed and search their online catalog.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The above part number appears to be 4.5" long, while my stock endlinks are 7"...

98X50, you do mention that these are shorter above. I'm assuming the sway bar is turned down to accomodate for this differance in length? Any disadvantages that anyone has found? Are the energy suspension endlinks the ones that EE carries? They're not on the website. Given their low cost, I am wondering why they are not included in the X-spec package if they do offer benefits(?)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my application (lowered 2") they are perfect. They position the sway bar more closely to "factory" than lowered with stock end links. Obviously if your X isn't lowered, these links may not be ideal. On my truck I found them to offer tighter handling, but also some additional harshness that can be felt in the cabin. This is the price you pay when you start replacing rubber with stiff poly.

The X spec system may not include these because of the added cabin noise, or maybe they feel it isn't a neccessary item to replace. You will have to ask John V about it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I asked him before and he basically said it's not much of an improvement over stock. I actually plan on doing it myself but I don't think I'm going to be lowering my X. I guess I should just get the 7" end links then? Or should I get something a bit shorter to improve handling?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wilson: If you don't plan on lowering, I wouldn't bother changing them. You might be able to just replace the bushings if you wanted to do that. If everything is tight, you probably are best to just let it alone.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Thing is, it's not tight. It feels loose, compared to other cars I've driven. I'm just going for the bushings for now but I'm still up in the air on the lowering. I might still do it but only an inch.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I remember reading somewhere the optimal positioning of the swaybar end should be parallel to the lower control arm. So when you lower it you need a lower end link to compensate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
cool, thanks for the info. it makes sense now, my truck is not lowered. WilsonTheDog, if you find that energy suspension makes a 7", please post a link...so far i found 4.5" to be the longest they offer.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, I only found 4.5" as well. Hmm....I'm stopping in to a local place called Showcarz (they do a lot of rice but will anything) to order some bushings for next weekend and I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
34mm or 1.33858 inches. I'm not good with fractions so I couldn't tell you what that comes out to (1 5/16 ???)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts