Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2004 Explorer XLT on Saturday. I wanted to know is there a break-in period before I can open up the acceleration? I have 220 miles on the odometer with varing speeds driven.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Well it's not exactly like a Porsche where its absolutely critical for a true break-in period, but I would say 1000-2,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I did 1,000 and then took it up to 5500 RPM at about 1500 miles. I now have 2200 miles and it's been to 5500RPM at least 3-4 times now and no problems but I think 1,000 should do it for ya.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I now have 2200 miles

Man, you must put your Sport into reverse out of the driveway, and then put it in drive and put it back in the garage with mileage THAT low...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Pretty much. Oh and I just looked. I was off by a bit. I now have 2454 currently. Man I'm getting up there in mileage. Almost time for a tune-up.

Edit: Now it's 2458. I went to Taco Bell.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
From everthing I have been told.........the new vehicles dont require any brake in period, they say to drive it like you normaly would, the computer learns how you drive (ok that is just what the dealer I buy from says) Thats pretty much what I have done on any of my vehicles (other than the SVT Focus that I traded in, it came broke, not broke in
)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I think you should've laid wheels across the dealership lot as you left. Break that baby in RIGHT. I mean, come on, we have to keep those Ford stealership mechanics employed, right?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Drive your X the way you are going to always drive it except for flooring it off the line. If you brake her in like an old lady she will always act like an old lady 8)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
If you brake her in like an old lady she will always act like an old lady ?

Is there any truth to that, or is it just one of your Tommy-isms?

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I actually read the maunual in the bathroom one morning, it said that i should go thru all the gears, so that it doesn't sit in one gear too long...
: So how else do you go thru the gears but to GO THRU THR GEARS?!! vroom vroom. so that's what I did...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
When I actually read the maunual in the bathroom one morning, it said that i should go thru all the gears, so that it doesn't sit in one gear too long...
: ?So how else do you go thru the gears but to GO THRU THR GEARS?!! vroom vroom. so that's what I did...

Dude, you need to get some more entertaining literature in your bathroom!!!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Nice one Sarek!! I just drove mine like normal once I got it home. Normal for me is taking it up to 3k in first and second when leaving from a stop light. Just drive it like you normally would and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
When you change your oil switch to synthetic and don't go back

A worn engine introduced to syn. oil will see lots of oil leaks were as new engine on syn. will have fewer leaks in the long haul.

Are you in it for the long haul Maverick?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts