Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 XLT, V-6, pings under load. Is this 'normal' ? I've owned it approx 7 months - not sure if this has always occured, or just started recently.

It seems to run OK. My gas mileage is about 13 city, 17-18 hwy. Is there anything I can do to improve this ? Or is this typical ? Or maybe affected by the cause of the pinging ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go see John Vanek at Explorer Express hand him your credit card and he will make it right.

Seriously though what kind of ping like a bad gas ping? Although the recommended fuel is 87 with everything I have done I use the best I can get which is 98 (actual rating like 89 or 90) here in Belgium and thrown in octane booster each tank. Also one thing when my X started aging i noticed a pinging when the EGR valve was going bad others may have more info.

·
Registered
391 Posts
or it could also be the infamous valve clatter, OR, what was doin it on mine, was the heat shield for the down tube on the exhaust, the weld broke and had to be "re-spot-welded"

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have more of a "rattle" type sound on acceleration with mine. It's kind of in between a pinging and a rattle, if that makes any sense. Had it for a while and the engine seems strong, no loss of power. Just annoying. I bring it in to the shop and they can never reproduce the sound (typical) but I don't think they let it warm up enough to hear it. It actually sounds like the PCV valve rattling but I changed that a month ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts