Explorer Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that we have one location to look for the official compatible offset for our Explorer in terms of wheels, anyone who can definitively say what works, please state it here. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
This is what I have found out by experience.

1. the 2003 4 door has the same bolt pattern and offset as the 94-04 Mustang

I have had a set of the 17x8 Mustang GT (bullit) wheels and a set of 17x9 eagle cobra r replica wheels without any spacers, rubbing or modifing at all.

2. I had a 2000 Mountaineer AWD that I had a set of 16x7.5 98 Grand Marquis (BBS style, lacy spoke with the deep dish and small center cap) that fit using the factory all terrain tires without any rubbing, the wheels did stick out about 1/2 an inch from the factory 16" 5 hole style. They will not fit 2 wheel drives as the hole in the center is too small for the hub to go through.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The factory Mustang 17x8" wheels supposedly all have a 30-32mm offset.

My 96 Cobra wheels fit my AWD 98 Mountaineer very well:

I added 1/4" spacers about 1000 miles ago, looking ahead to different 18x8.5" wheels.

Most people will tell you to tie wrap the emergency cables away in the left rear.

I did that, but these Cobra wheels(255/60/17) have slightly rubbed one of the emergency cables still. The spacers locate the tires better, and there is now plenty of room.

Conclusion: best fit with 17x8 is about a 25mm offset.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Update: I have mounted 18x8.5 Moven M13 wheels, with 265/60 Yokohama Geolanders. These wheels have slightly thicker stud pads, so I could not use the spacers in the rear. I barely have five threads of stud engagement in the front with the spacers. This size rubs slightly at full lock on the anti-sway bar and right control arm.

Some 2nd gen. Explorers and Mountaineers have an extra rear control arm, which most Explorers do not have.

For these vehicles, to mount wider wheels on the back, gain some inside clearance by relocating the parking brake cables. Remove the left rear wheel, the two control arm bolts, which gets the arm off.

The left and right parking brake cables merge just ahead of the wheel, suspended in the air. Carefully open up the cable merging bracket to allow the cables to be separated. Be careful to not damage the clear covering over the cable as you open up the bracket. Take your time there, that's the hardest part. The cables need to be swapped, inside versus outside. This fits better and creates more space.

Reassemble everything, locating the parking brake cables to the inside of the control arm. This will gain you over an inch of space between the left rear tire and the control arm bar.

Good luck,

·
Registered
163 Posts
i spoke to tirerack today. they said the optimal offset for a 03 4wd with 22x9.5 wheels would be +18. the wheels im about to buy have a +10 offset. go or no-go?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Are you referring to the 2003 4dr. or the Sport/SportTrac? Those are different, the Sport/SportTrac is the same 2nd gen. chassis as the 95-01 Explorer.

The 10mm offset would be a little too much for 95-01 models. The 2002+ 4dr models have about 44mm stock offsets, so 18mm is far too much. The wheels would be outboard about an inch from stock(26mm).

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Cool, then you will be needing offsets much higher than the 10mm. What is the next step for that wheel? Usually they go in 15-25mm steps. Maybe something near 35mm would move the wheel outward nearer to the wheelwell edge. Ask a couple of the guys here with aftermarket wheels on their truck. Good luck,

·
Registered
163 Posts
tire rack said a +10 would stick out farther than the + 35. haha it didnt make sense to me. somebody explain who is a hundred percent sure.

ok i got it. the +10 would sit farther out than say a + 35. just doubled checked.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The offset is the distance inboard from the hub mounting surface. So more offset is inboard more than less offset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok I have a 2000 limited, lowered aprox.1.5 in front and 1 in the rear. I want to buy the Saleen style wheels like what is on Dvoraks ex, but my limited has the fender flares, so I want the wheels to be almost flush. would like to run 18x10 rear and either 18x8 or 18x9 front. my question is what offsets and so forth would I need? I would like to order some this week also what size tires should I run? Dvoraks looks about right perfect but I cant find any of his post with tire size,offsets or anything. thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 explorer -- looking for a wheel/tire setup that will give it a symmetrical but more beefy stance. I'm open to a small lift if needed but would prefer to not do that.

Thanks for any help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts