Explorer Talk banner

Exhaust manifold project

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  WilsonTheDog 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about tackling this project soon. I think the exhaust manifold gaskets need to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this? How hard of a job is it? It doesn't look too hard to me, for my skill level. You have to remove a few peripherals like the accessory drive bracket and such, but it looks like I can do it in a few hours.

What parts will I need other than the following: manifold gaskets, new manifold bolts, and new serpentine belt (I have to take it off to do this so I'll replace it)?

I think I'm going to bring it in for service first and see what this tapping/clicking sound is on acceleration. I seem to think it's the exhaust manifold leaking but I'm not entirely sure. Even if this is not the culprit, I'm still going to do this project.

#3 ·
Yeah, it looks like the passenger side would be easier without the steering mechanism and all that in the way. Thank God for this service manual CD I got last week.

#4 ·
It's not too bad of a job just tedious. Everybody said the passenger side is a PITA but I found it easier than the driver side.

I personally don't find any of it tedious but i will say that the passenger side is simple. Like 20 minutes or so.

The time consuming part would be removing the header from the actual exhaust pipe, but you really don't need to do that to change the gasket only.

#7 ·
Ya, the driver side you have to remove the steering shaft out of the way and disconnect the fuel lines. On the p-side the inner flange bolt is hard to get to, you will need to use really long extensions and a swivel socket. ?

I will try to do a write-up with pics as soon as I get back my FMS headers next week hopefully.
Hey, that would be great. I'm going to do it within the next month so that would cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.