Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm a newbie to the website and so far I think its great! Secondly, I also recently purchased a 98 5.0 AWD XLT two weeks ago. I have had several Rangers and a couple of Mustangs (all pre 87). Now to the main question. I went to the local muffler shop (Kinneys Muffler here in Hurst, TX) to inquire about duals. they recommended that i run a dual in/dual out Flowmaster with 2.25" pipes. They said that 2.25" was big enough even if I was to run 6 lbs of boost (If I was to install a blower in the future). To me this seems too small or will it kill low end power running anything bigger? What does everybody else think?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
First of all, WELCOME! Glad you found your way here. As for the exhaust, I would say no bigger then 2.5"...2.25" is a little small, and running dual 3" is pretty much out of the question. You'll lose too much backpressure running 3"...

What Flowmaster series are you looking to go for? I have a V6 SOHC dual in single out 3" Flowmaster 50 series and its awesome. I'm not sure if I did actually hurt myself by having the 3" exit, if I ever redo my exhaust I'll make it 2.5"

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You can do 3" with a 5.0, just not dual. I believe Joe has 3" pipes(I think?).

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
You can do 3" with a 5.0, just not dual. I believe Joe has 3" pipes(I think?).

Yeah Joe does. I meant dual 3" btw...its a no-no on a V6 especially and even a 5.0...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to meet ya Rob, beautiful sport you have there
. I'm not sure which series Flowmaster they are trying to set me up with (If it was up to me, I would have no mufflers and just run the cats.
) I questioned if 2.5" would be better over the 2.25". Naturally they said ,"No, besides we couldn't bend 2.5" pipes around your spare." Which I could understand, but, they made it sound like they didn't want to bother giving it the extra quarter inch (sounds like another problem, but I wont get into that.
: )

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Believe me if you go to the right shop, anything can be done, with or without a spare on. I don't have the images on hand but believe me I've seen extensive custom exhaust setups WITH spares on...it can be done. If you think its worth the hassle or whatnot, take your business elsewhere. Just a suggestion

Thanks for the comment on my truck btw

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably will go to a couple of shops in the area and ask what they can do before dropping the cash out. I just think that I would be happier with the 2.5" pipes (I could always put a smaller diameter spare on it) out to some larger tips, just not gawdy import looking fart pipes

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go to Meineke.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Welcome Leadfoot! I have a single coming out with 3" all the way. Duals on an X are pretty much a PITA no matter which way you go, but like Rob said - they are doable. I will be true dualling mine this summer when I can drop the spare tire out...

Another option I would suggest is having a shop cut all 4 cats out and replace them with 1 2in/2out Catco hi flow cat, and a 40 series Flowmaster 2in/1out with 3" pipe. You get just as much performance out of it, and it does sound good! Mine is set up that way now, and it holds very well through the mods I have.

Are you planning on doing anything to it performance wise? If you are not going to do much, then I might say just use 2.5" pipe...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I didn't read anyone else's posts because i'm lazy, so forgive me if someone said any of this.

You'll want either a single 3in dual in, 3in. out.

or a 2.5 inch dual. You can use 2 single ins if you want, i think they'll fit.

2.25 is not big enough for a 5.0 mustang, so why would it be big enough for a 5.0 explorer?

I also and from the stang world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts