Explorer Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler. ITs a 2.50 S/I , 2.25 D/O. One question though. SHould i buy a second of the same seeing as though i have dual in on my old muffler. I dont know whether i should get a Y pipe and make it single in dual out or should i wait and get a second muffler and have 2 mufflers single in dual out and have a quad exhaust? Please someone with some knowledge on X exhaust reply. Thanks

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Please try searching through our forums before posting generic questions such as this. It's no problem, but just saves everyone the hassle of replying to the same question in 100 threads.

Check out:

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1917

There are also numerous threads on Gibson catbacks which also contain many useful info especially for Sports:

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1746

&

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1620

Sports should never ever utilize a dual exhaust...especially a true-dual. There is not even close to the amount of required torque and horsepower in a V6...especially if you have the OHV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have the SOHC, but i mean im just doin it for the sound. This is the true , first car im buying. Im almost 19 so its not like i have a family or anything im trying to support with this. I could care less if i lose power. I know its not goin to benefit me to run true dual, i was just seeing if anyone else has, and if not that would make me want to do it even more. Im not the kind of person that tries to be like everyone else. I mean when i first got my license i had a 1995 Ford Contour. I loved it because nobody around here had them and so i was like cool, ill make me a nice lil cruising car out of this while everyone else "tricks out" their civics. Anyway, i mean i got the Flowmaster muffler new for less than a hundred so getting another isnt a problem. But i was just checking if it would be wise to take a dual in and make it single in. That was the main question i had. So im out.

LATER

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
But i was just checking if it would be wise to take a dual in and make it single in.
I believe if you wanted to do something like that you would be better off to just replace the cats to a single out (on the cat) so that way it would be a single in on the muffler.

I guess that answers what you were asking?

·
Registered
368 Posts
actually, rob it would be better the other way. U obviously know nothing about exhaust. to think the maker of this X website doesnt know ANYTHIGN about explorers.

also, i just made that up :-D

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
actually, rob it would be better the other way. ?U obviously know nothing about exhaust. to think the maker of this X website doesnt know ANYTHIGN about explorers.

also, i just made that up :-D
Uh...?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i used to have the dual inlet y'd into a single FM 40 series. I didn't like it though i had it totally redone with a dual in dual out V-Force. And if ur just lookin fur sound then u want more then a 50 series. Mine kicks ass. i'll put some clips up if u really wanna hear it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats cool, I actually just got the exhaust installed yesterday and I love it. I took it to a place around here that did it for about $140. It sounds perfect, its exactly what i was looking for. It got a nice low tone but not really deep. And it does have a whine or like a nasty ricer sound. I love it , it has 2 2.25 tips that dont look too bad, they kinda look small, but the sound is unbelievable. Thats for the input though. Oh yea and im gonna try to get some pics soon to show what it looks like.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Installing the pipes and muffler shouldn't cost much more than $150. If it does, you're at the wrong place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea around here we have a chain called Main Muffler and Brakes. One of their stores wanted 200+ dollars to install and 7.5 hours. So i took it out to one of their other stores and they told me 140 and an hour and a half.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts