Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I was just at Meineke today and asked the guy whether performance exhaust systems make a difference in power gains. The guy told me they're mostly for sound, louder, more aggressive sound! Now I have a stock '98 XLT V8 with only a MAC Performance intake. Now, is this guy yankin' my chain or is those figures mostly true? What I'm lookin for is more low end power with the MAC providing the higher RPM power. I also see an Apten chip in the future.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Well first of all, some mechanic at Meineke really doesn't know what he's talking about. That's number one. Number two, it depends on what you buy. If you just buy a muffler you're looking at some but minimal power increase. If you actually get a cat-back upgrade or more, then yes you're looking at actual power + torque increase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob! I'll take your word for it. I figured the guy doesn't know much about exhaust systems over and above installing the darn things! I thought, they must do something, since they are out on the market and why would they lie about those performance gains anyway. I'm probably leaning towards either the Gibson or Flowmaster exhaust, cat-back of course!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Flowmasters do perform well, but they are also notoriously LOUD. Don't get a Flowmaster unless you want to deal with the moderate to very loud exhaust tone and also highway driving exhaust droning. If you want actual performance and a low to moderate exhaust tone (i.e. a little louder then stock), go with the Gibson.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Jimbo,

I'll try to make this easy for you.

To increase performance you need to:

A. Add a dual 2.5 setup, this is a custom job, will probably cost alot consdering you need 2 mufflers.

B. Add a single 3 in catback system, i believe John V at Explorer Express has them, but are not on his webpage. Call him, there's ads for his site all over this board.

Mufflers make little or no HP by themselves, some even lose power. If i remember correctly, Flowmasters alone, make 3 hp. That's very little, it's the increased pipe size that does the job.

As far as the meineike guy, doesn't really matter what he told you, he either didn't want the job, or couldn't do the necessary task anyway.

Chain muffler shops usually don't have a mandrel bending machine (bends pipes with no kinks) and that's what you want anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts