Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok right now i have just a straight y-pipe with 3 inch tips after the cat on my x sport. it is loud and i like the sound except that it is a little raspy at higher rpms. i believe this is because it is just a piece of pipe instead of a muffler and it is 2 and 1/4 inch pipe. besides hollowing out the cat, what could i do to retain the loudness but make it smoother? bigger diameter piping?(may lose bottom end) i think i want to change to single but i dunno. if anyone is an expert on exhaust sound help me out

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'm no expert, but if you already have a 3" exit going larger is not the way to go, you're probably already losing low end torque, I could be wrong this is of course assuming you are a V6 which I think you are.

You're the guy that got the 40 series put on, right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i dont have a 40 series. i just have a straight y pipe with no muffler. the tips are just screwed on i didnt think that made a difference. i dunno i'll figure something out

·
Registered
543 Posts
I put on a Borla Pro XS muffler on mine with dual in and single out and then I have a Y pipe and it goes to two 4 inch tips. Then after I did that I took out the back two cats and left the front two in and it is the best sound that I have heard ever on a SUV. That is what I would recogmend to do. I have a 96 X 5.0

·
Registered
15 Posts
well If you want to keep it pretty much as loud i would suggest getting some type of small resonator muffler like a dynomax bullet (or small glass pack) the packing inside a muffler like that will take the Rasp off. Mufflers like flowmasters are chambered and dont really do much for the raw sound because they do not have any packing in them. Muffler like magnaflows have packing in them and could work out well to , i find though maganflows are a little to quiet on explprers. . .from my experience anyway. Maybe even try a nice set of resonator tips it may be enought to mellow out the the tone a little bit.

Goodluck

Nick -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts