Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to find out if 99-04 Mustang GT's 4.6 2V got same internals with my 2004 4.6 Modular? I know that my modular prolly got windsor block while mustangs prolly got different ones later in production, not sure what name. But that is only one part, what about other internal parts? are they the same?

If you know the differences between those engines, please name them, that would be helpful.

I decided to register at one busy mustang forum and posted about my build. Many were eager to help and most of them said mustang's internals can hold up to 425 horses at stock so if my engine got similar internals then I know where to set my limit at. They are not aware of explorer's internals so it is tough for them to help me out.

Maybe if some upgrades are needed then I am willing to do it.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The dimensions are all identical inside all 4.6's. Ford used aluminum blocks in the Explorers, which until you go over about 600hp is great. I think you can depend on the important HP limits to be the same. They will all have the weak hypereutectic pistons, Ford stopped using forged pistons in 1993, until the supercharged models. The rods and cranks are also limited that way. The 425hp mark sounds like a reasonable guess limit.

Basically you are limited by the whole shortblock reciprocating assembly. The parts are so high and rebuilds cost so much, stick with what you have until you save for a strong engine. Ask Alex about his engine. He learned all of that stuff early on, and bought an entire aftermarket engine. Those are all very expensive, figure $7000-$9000 easily. Even Ford crate engines are a good $6500 or more.

That's the only advantage a pushrod engine has today. We can build a really nice 500hp capable engine for $5000, the stock block limit. For another $2000, the limit jumps to over 800hp or more. The modular engine parts are too expensive. Ford started everything out too high, and the aftermarket appreciated that by raising their prices. If there is ever enough aftermarket competition, then the modular prices may become reasonable.

Try to follow what Alex has done with his engine, and his current upgraded engine. That's the ideal path for a 500hp+ Explorer. You need all new better parts, top to bottom, to safely reach the 500-600hp level. Regards,

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but I think I will stop after I break the 400 hp mark.. so if you are saying that the internals are identical so I would say I should be safe at 405-410 hp with 9 psi of a boost from a turbo. I am planning on replacing maf to 90mm lightning maf, 42# injectors, svt focus fuel pump (only if it fits), and an intercooler later in the future. I was going to do 10 psi but based on calculations it will be at around 430 hp which could be hurting my engine so I think I better keep it at 9 psi which is roughly 410 hp.

I think I will stop after 400 hp because I originally wanted to do this on a mustang so I think I will just stop at 400 hp which is the limit then start saving up for a mustang which I can do some more crazy stuff ha.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I suggest that you plan for a lower boost than that for the 400hp limit. A turbo can easily push it to over 500hp with 10psi. I'm shooting for about 8psi with mine, knowing that others have safely gone to 500-500hp with a stock block. I'm wanting to be in the 450hp range to begin with, that would be in the ballpark for what I want for when I swap it to my Lincoln.

Be conservative with the boost. It does affect your choice of turbo, so hopefully you get the right blow off valve stuff to give you a safe limit. Consult with someone like Robert and see if you can use a turbo for the higher boost you want, and now with it limited a lot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How will I be going over 500 hp with 10 psi??

from what I learned it is usually measured as 19 horsepower per psi. so my stock engine sits at 240hp, with 170hp of boost from 9 psi will be at around 410 hp

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I can't say what the result will actually be. That depends on the turbo, the engine compression, and how efficient the whole combination is. Experts can make a good general guess, I think Robert could do that very well. You should be working with an expert who knows the 4.6 engine and turbochargers well. Robert is in that business, and has his own blown Explorer as well.

A turbo is much more efficient, that 19hp guideline sounds really low to me. What holds back most boosted engines is the stock induction system, the camshaft, heads, exhaust, and intake. There is a big difference between a stock engine potential and one that is built for boost. Think of Alex's truck as an example, he was limited mainly by the small supercharger and stock type heads etc. He got the 400hp, but it took more boost to make it happen. His supercharger was working too hard and sucking up a lot of power. The turbo will suppress very very little power from the exhaust to run it. Ask Robert or another trust worthy turbo expert.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest that you plan for a lower boost than that for the 400hp limit. A turbo can easily push it to over 500hp with 10psi. I'm shooting for about 8psi with mine, knowing that others have safely gone to 500-500hp with a stock block. I'm wanting to be in the 450hp range to begin with, that would be in the ballpark for what I want for when I swap it to my Lincoln.

Be conservative with the boost. It does affect your choice of turbo, so hopefully you get the right blow off valve stuff to give you a safe limit. Consult with someone like Robert and see if you can use a turbo for the higher boost you want, and now with it limited a lot.
I also am looking at rebuilding my 4.6 2v it is in my 2004 explore. It is a all wheel drive set up. Would like around 350-400 hp. Then bottle feed it up to about 500hp. I think it would be such a blast on cruise night toying with the challengers and Camaros. It will be e daily driver with many hyway mile. Like Arkansass to Maine ,Michigan, Phoenix as my work takes me all over the country. I have seen where a person could stroke it to 301ci. Found a transmission company called level 10 that can do a 5r55s to handle 750-1000hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts