Explorer Talk banner

Explorer Dash and Speedometer Issues

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  vbmike73 
#1 ·
I have an 04 Sport Trac with 266K on it. I have noticed many issues with the dash and/or ignition switch. It started out as my radio would stay on when I opened the door, like it thought the key was still in the ignition. So I wiggled the ignition a little and it stopped. This makes me think it's the ignition itself. But now the speedometer works only sometimes. The gauges go all haywire. Gas is sometimes accurate. Speed needle will jump from 60 down to 0 while driving, or vice versa. When i exit the vehicle, if I don't turn off the lights (off of auto) and the stereo and the dash lights, everything will keep popping back on and off for a long time. I will watch my truck and the rear window brake light comes on then off. Stereo will come back on (if I left it on), lights on (if left on Auto). Not sure if it's the whole dash or what. Sometimes the mileage will show as all dashes, and the check engine light will be on, so I tap the dash glass pretty hard to wake it up and then it starts working. But then it may freeze again at a certain speed. When it's frozen, it does not track mileage. It shows the ABS light on sometimes, and when it does, the code machine at auto store reads ABS Speed Sensor. But I can't see how that would be causing all this. And the other day for the first time, instead of mileage, the digital display said TEST. What is that? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to begin looking for a solution? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.