Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give a little sales pitch for The Explorer Express sway bars. Just installed the rear bar on my X and I gotta say, WOW! This is a quality piece with super fit and finish. Install took about 30 min. and the results are worth every cent! If you are considering this mod, DO IT! The feel that these pieces give is phenominal. I took a short road test after the install and what fun I had! :D Really tightens up the tail and makes the steering response quicker. Rember, this is a mod that makes your Explorer SAFER too! Good job Explorer Express.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'm itching to get one of these. But I'd like to do all the suspension and handling stuff all at once. Did you install new bushings? I heard that makes even more of a huge difference.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear bar comes with new bushings as well as split collets that keep the bar from shifting from side to side. 98' and up maintain the factory bar in the front since it is already a substantial piece. I want to replace the front bushings and end links but haven't done so yet. Edelbrock shocks will probably be next on the list as far as my underpinnings are concerned.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Congrats on the new bars. I'm wanting to get some myself. I've only heard great things about them. Again congrats on the new bars.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob: Don't be afraid to modify your X suspension on step at a time. When you look at the overal design of the Explorer susupension, it is very easy to work on in stages. All of the major components can be accessed without much repetitive disassembly. Lowering, shocks, and swaybars can all be done "one at a time" without having to remove and then replace parts that were just installed. While allowing you to work on a budget and buy a part or parts as you can afford them, this method also lets you experience the merits of each individual modification. I feel it is more useful and rewarding to test each mod by itself without the influence of several variables. This also helps if a modification causes any negative effects, because you only have one suspect to deal with. Lets say for example you just lowered your X, put on a new wheel and tire combo, and had a custom exhaust setup done all in the same day. You take her out for a drive and notice a couple of newly acquired noises. Is your new combo rubbing somewhere, maybe that exhaust is touching something, did I get those rear blocks in right? Trouble shooting is a lot easier when you have less variables to deal with. You will also have a better feel for what each peice has done to improve your Explorers capabilities.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing your setup all at once, and some vehicles require so much disassembly that it is just not sensible to do certain mods in stages. A good example would be a Mac Phearson strut type suspension where the coil spring is installed on the strut. It only makes sense to replace both of these items at the same time to avoid doing the same job over again in the future. I have had the underside of my Mustang apart enough to learn the pains of doing some tasks over and over again! This is the beauty of the X's suspension. All of the critical "handling" components can be replaced individually.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
You bring up a lot of interesting, and certainly valid points. I never thought about the viewpoint that by doing everything individually you would certainly get a more concrete view of how much each upgrade truly does improve your handling ratios. So far I assume you have lowered your truck I believe an inch if I recall correctly, and you have the new X-Spec anti-sway bar - but nothing else, correct? You certainly sound from what you said earlier that the anti-sway bar alone certainly made a big improvement. That's good to hear.

You mentioned in your last post about changing shocks, etc. How hard are shocks to remove and install? I figured for something like that I'd just take it to a shop or whatnot. But I suppose if it's not all too difficult I could do it myself. I plan on going all out with my suspension upgrades within a year so I will certainly have writeups and how-to's for each modification I do available on this site.

Thanks a lot for your insight and comments, really helps. 8)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob: I've dropped my X 2" in the front and 1" in the rear. Other than the swaybar everything else is factory. Front swaybar bushings and end links will be next, then shocks. At this point I am not going to lower it any further since it is a daily driver and I eventually have plans to use it for some towing. I noticed some slight decline in ride quality with the drop so I am anxious to install new shocks. This is most noticable in the front where the shocks travel/operating range has been altered. Remember that by adding blocks in the rear you are not changing the relationship between the shock and body, just raising the axle above the leaf packs. My X only has 24,000 miles so the shocks are probably still in sufficient working order, although I have heard many times that factory shocks aren't worth more than 15-20K miles.

The shocks are not much more than a 3 bolt each affair. The front shocks are attached with two bolts at the lower control arm and a single bolt at the top where they pass through the "shock tower". The rear shocks are just the opposite, two bolts at the top and a single bolt at the bottom. This is really just a simple remove and replace mod. Four doors do, however, have an extra dampner in the rear that could be replaced if desired, although I don't see any real need for this. A heavy duty Bilstein replacement is available, but I don't think there are any performance benefits to be gained from this. If you have simple hand tools and a little elbow grease, shocks are an easy task!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Awesome, thank you very much for your help and comments! Yeah I won't even consider lowering my truck until I have replacement shocks to boot.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt: Thanks, I did see the kit you are refering to. It would be a good idea except the type of towing I may want to do will require a weight distribution hitch with torsion bars and sway control. These hitches keep rear end squat to a minimum by redistributing the load more equally across the vehicles chassis. This is way down the road though, so I am not real worried about it right now. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just installed my swaybars today, and I gotta say in the little time I've used them, I love them. I'd recommend them to anyone who is undecided. DO IT!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Awesome, welcome muncheese! Hey, do you have any pictures of your Swaybar installation or just the swaybar installed in general? Specs & Pics on your truck would be cool too

Hope to see you post around!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hehe....guess I coudn't sneak around huh? :)

No, I don't have any pic, no digi cam :(

My truck is pretty much a stocker for now.

96 ohv 4 door xlt . So far the sway bar is the only real change I've made. I'm gonna lower it a bit in the near future. maybe 2 inches.

I'll most definately stick around.

Great site by the way. Looks amazing.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Too bad about the pictures, but glad you'll be sticking around! I appreciate that. Nothing wrong with being a stocker...glad to hear you'll be lowering it, with that swaybar installed, you'll notice a tremendous difference in handling. We have a writeup on lowering Explorers in our Content section of our website.

I'll see you around!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well, you guys wrote too much for me to read at the moment, so i'm not sure if someone said this, but sways bars should be both done at the same time, they work together as a pair. Now your rear is tight as hell and your front is loose.

So if i was you, my next order of operation would be the front sway bar, unless youv'e already done it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
He's got a 98 so the front one doesn't need replacing. ?Right?
I'm not sure who you're referring to, but yeah, Explorers 98+ have a stronger front anti-sway bar so it does not need to be replaced, according to EE.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
He's got a 98 so the front one doesn't need replacing. ?Right?

Munch, not sure what you are suggesting but, the EE sway bar for the front and the back are significantly larger and firmer, so they both need to be changed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts