Explorer Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s my great pleasure to announce that Social Knowledge has taken over administration here on ExplorerTalk!

Janet H of Social Knowledge will be coming on and jump starting the community and getting us back on track. I feel the years of community and knowledge will best be left in their highly capable hands and I very much look forward to seeing what they can bring to the table.

It’s been a great ride guys and I feel fortunate to have gotten to know so many of you. Thanks for being a great a community and I wish you , and Social Knowledge the best and hope ExplorerTalk continues to be the community standard for Explorer communities for years to come.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping out.

Social Knowledge is a tiny US based company dedicated to friendly online communities and we'll work hard to maintain the great atmosphere here. We have a small team including our programer, Tech Admin (Jeff), Andy R (SK owner) and of course I'll be around daily to help out. The plan is to take things slow, get to know everyone and then try to find ways to gain some traction and generate more energy!

I look forward to meeting you all in the months to come; if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Please share with us Social Knowledge's automotive background. We would love to hear that the new ownership is enthusiast-minded and going to be run by people with an automotive passion, not a knack for URL page-views and impressions to sell site advertising.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please share with us Social Knowledge's automotive background. We would love to hear that the new ownership is enthusiast-minded and going to be run by people with an automotive passion, not a knack for URL page-views and impressions to sell site advertising.

Well first (and most importantly) I am an Explorer owner. I have a 99 that is still in service with 173,000 miles on it. It's not the fanciest ride I've ever had but it's been reliable and cheap to keep on the road. My Explorer was a farmers special when I bought it new - rubber floors, plastic seats, no radio, crank windows, no center console, stick, etc. It hauls dogs, equipment, kids, dirt, merlot, etc without complaint and has only required routine service. Can't ask for more....

The goal for the community is that it will be managed by members who are passionate about Explorers. Social Knowledge has several other auto related forums that work about the same way and each one is unique with the community driving the direction of the forum. While ad revenue keeps the doors open, members are really the backbone of a forum. Sharing info and expertise is the true value of a forum and in this respect Explorertalk is already ahead of the game.

If you want to check out some of SKs other autoboards here are a few
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/
http://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/
http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php

I'll be around regularly and am always open to ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there,

Nice to meet you all, I'm Andy. I know it's always weird when an ownership change like this takes place. I understand how personal online forum communities are and we will try our hardest to not screw up what you all have going here. I started my first forum 11 years ago and through a random set of events ended up adopting a forum that was about to be shut down due to the cost to run the site. The same person approached me a few weeks later with another forum he owned asking if I wanted to manage it. From the beginning we've been forum members first and understand how important it is to listen to the membership and work together. We'll be asking a lot of questions and passing ideas by you all for input on what we can do to make sure this community survives and thrives.

I'm not going to lie, I used to be more into cars then I am today. In the mid-90s I owned a late 80s 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban with a 6" life riding on 35" BFG all terrains. I shot a rod on a road trip and replaced the engine with totally tuned 350 (Holey carb, Edelbrock manifold, custom cam shaft, headers and exhaust. I could white smoke those 35", we nick named it "The Beast". In 1998 I bought a Jeep Cherokee Laredo and put a 3" lift on it with 31" BFGs and drove that car for 10 years. Unfortunately that's when I had my last "fun" car because in 2009 with one kid and another on the way I got a family wagon with a third row seat so we can have both kids seats in the back and still have my parents or friends ride in the 3rd row. Lame, I know but it was the responsible choice and I'll suck it up for a while until I can get another fun project car.

I like Explorers, I always had friends who had them. They are great vehicles and I'm proud to be able to work with you all here on ExplorerX. We understand that we won't always be subject matter experts on the topic of the forum and that's why building strong relationships with the members and working together is so important.

Social Knowledge is a tiny company, technically it's just a one man operation (me) but I have some AMAZING people that work with me as contract workers who were all members of my forums. As we worked together on projects I would see how great they are at stuff and asked them to help on another project. As time has passes we've all been able to keep adopting more sites and it's turned into a network of forum communities that we're all very proud of. I know there are some "big companies" out there who buy up sites and leave them to rot, their primary intent is to simply by the website's traffic. We are not that we, we have a passion for forums, we understand that to build a great community you have to understand and work with the members and we care deeply for the forums we manage.

I hope that you all will give us a chance and we can talk about how to bring back the spark here. I know some decisions from the past alienated some members, there's nothing I can do about that. Please provide Janet, Jeff and I the opportunity to get to know you all, understand what's important and the type of community you all want this place to be and hopefully we can look back in 5 years and be proud of what we have accomplished together.

I know I have to earn your trust. If you have any questions for me, just ask.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Thanks guys for the background info. Andy this place has been dead for quite some time. The only reason I even still post here is purely out of habit. I can tell you right off the bat that the best thing this site could have to really make it relevant again is a clean informative homepage with updated content, articles, etc bringing it back to being a contemporary Ford Explorer website. The past couple of owners did not do anything other than hold the site, which is why it's in the sorry state it is today. We were always a little niche with a lot of initial focus on the Saleen XP8 (If you're not familiar I suggest you look into them). We had a registry of owners, and I believe we still have a few owners who post from time to time. We also have had a few more late model owners joining the site lately who I feel are the most important to site growth. I could go on but for now that's probably enough to get you brought up to speed. Hope to see this place turn around with your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the background info. I wasn't aware that Saleen ever worked on Explorers, that's pretty cool. Keith did mention to me that the name change alienated some members, a shift of focus from the XP8 to an all around Explorer site certainly would be a change that owners of such a limited edition vehicle might not enjoy. I can also understand Keith's logic for such a change as it's hard to sustain a community when you have such a laser focus on vehicle that was produced in small quantities and no longer in production. I'll see if we have the registry of owners in the database somewhere. If so, we'll try to resurrect that info.

Unfortunately we don't have any magic to just make a community active but we have learned some things over the years and will talk about them here and if agreed give them a shot here. One thing that's crucial with trying to revive a slow forum is simply getting active new posters and developing that sense of community. Hopefully we can look back and be proud to see the site come back to life in the yeas ahead.

As for the home page, I think that's a great idea and we have done this on some other Social Knowledge sites (example: www.MustangEvolution.com). The hardest part is finding people willing to contribute. Another great way to find new members vs sitting back and waiting for them is to monitor twitter and other sources for people who just bought a new Explorer and reach out to them to join and then creating a welcoming atmosphere. This has worked well for Jeep Garage where one of the Mods manages our twitter page and @includes people who mention their Jeeps or Grand Cherokees on twitter.

Is this style a new style and are you all married to it? Would you be open to a fresh look and feel?

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts