Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone know of or use an aftermarket head unit with the stock 6 disk cd changer. I have a 98 EB and I like the cd changer but hate the head unit. Especially because the display keeps disappearing and I don't want to fix it. Ideally I would get a new head unit that plays MP3 disks, works with the stock cd changer and works with the controls on the stearing wheel. I know this is a lot to ask for, but I'm sure others have wanted this same setup. Any ideas...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Can't do it. There is no alternative. There is an add-on that you can get that supposedly lets you still use the steering wheel controls but I'm not sure where I saw it. I'd have to get back to you on that. It was about $80.00 if I remember correctly. Having a Limited, I went through all of this already and decided that a changer didn't matter since I now have an MP3 head unit. You'll probably come to the same conclusion.

But I can tell you conclusively that there is no way to use the OEM changer with an aftermarket h/u. A better option would be to sell the OEM changer on Ebay (I did; sold for $125) and use that money to buy an aftermarket changer that goes with your h/u. I know the Pioneer changers can be found for approx. $150.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
98EddieB, Eric is correct. You cannot use the OEM changer with an aftermarket HU. If I were in your situation I'd get an MP3 CD player and sell the changer. In fact I am semi going to do that. I'm going to get an MP3 CD player so I don't have to get a changer. I'll save money that way. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You guys might remember when my h/u was stolen in December and I kept saying I wanted to use my cd changer and I didn't want an MP3 h/u. Then, I changed my mind and got the Pioneer DEH-4600MP and haven't looked back since. It's just SO much easier having 150 songs on a cd. I only keep maybe 3 cds in my X now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
im using a kenwood 10 cd changer and a kenwood HU. Ford was really dumb when they made a separate OEM interface cable that wont work with aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts