Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can add the factory DVD entertainment system to a 3rd gen? I was going to add headrest monitors but found a decent deal on the factory overhead system with the 7" screen and DVD player. But i don't want to spend the cash if it will not funtion properly or if it's going to be a major PITA to install. And if it matters, I do have the side curtain airbags.

This is the unit I am reffering to:

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow, that is really really nice. What was that designed for? 2nd generation Explorers? F-150's? Expeditions?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That's designed for 3rd gen. X's. I believe that system also comes in the Aviator. It shouldn't matter if you have the curtain airbags because the same unit comes in model with or without the bags. I'm not sure how it would be installed though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a pic of the underside with the mounting points. It looks like there needs to be some brackets above the headliner. Has anyone had the headliner down in theirs to know what's up there?

Chad

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the factory dvd sys. in my X, the only problem unless it comes with it is wiring- I read somewhere that Ford does not carry or have the wire harness for this it is supplied by the manufacturer(am not tottally sure if this is true). I will try taking mine down to see how it is held by it might just be by the stock holes where the normal light is mounted

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
03Limited,

That would be great!
As for the wiring, that sould not be an issue as I should just be able to supply switchable power to the unit and I can pick up a pair of IR wireless headphones to hook up to the audio out on the DVD player.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't seem to get mine seperated from headliner do to probably those clips. I would say there isn't a bracket cause the center section is pretty deep. I have rear A/C and I am thinking that mine is mounted to that. I will give it another shot this weekend when I have more time and patients. Sorry I can't me more help but maybe over the weekend I will figure it out. I need to remove mine anyways to put my sound deadening behind the headliner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry I am late in posting but here is a quick pic I finally was able to get the unit out

I have been busy installing my new stereo and video stuff

I hope this helps it appears that it mainly clips into the plastic heater ducting.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow those are some beautiful red X's!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I decided to have a local shop mount monitors in my headrests since I allready have a dvd player and a VCR. I am still waiting to hear the grand total from them for 2 7" monitors and the install with wireless headphones. They are going to price it with alpine monitors and also with Icon TV monitors. I'll be sure to post when it's done.

Chad

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Sounds great!! Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Wow that sounds nice

I'm glad I dont have kids anymore or else I would want to install something like that, I think you will be the only one with both DVD and VCR

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that sounds nice
?

I'm glad I dont have kids anymore or else I would want to install something like that, I think you will be the only one with both DVD and VCR

Well,

Michael, my son, is already asking if he can use his gamecube as well when we drive to Ocean City in July :roll: so that will take up all 3 inputs and require an ac/dc converter. I can see where this is all going now and I think I should have bought an Excursion

Chad

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
it does sound like it, but who knows what else he would want to bring with him if you had the Excursion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts