Explorer Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the problem I have, I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Its apparently not just me who has this problem, I got this picture off of ebay and this is exactly what mine looks like

Its got worse since I moved to Texas so some of this fading is from the sun, but damn its ugly. I was thinking about painting it either black or red (which is the color of my vehicle) I dont know what do you all think would look better??

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'd say definitely red. Just make sure the red you paint it with matches your exterior paint code if you were to do it yourself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not gonna do it myself I want it to look good and not have the paint fall off 3 weeks down the road. I just dont know how well paint will stay on that stuff. I need to get it professionally done to have it look the way I want it to.

G

·
yea man....right here...i have the same problem....i'm gona paint it flat black here sometime...but i also noticed that my doors trim black, ya know by the windows...is faiding....
...gess thats what happens when urs sits out all the time...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Same thing on my x.

Unless you get rid of the weather striping on the hatch, I dont think you should color match it. I've seen a few early 2nd gens with that part matched and the strip left there.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It seems like this was a problem up until around 1998 or so. I don't have that problem because Limiteds have paint there to begin with but I see it on A LOT of X's around town. Not much you can do about it other than to paint it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's just typical Ford quality. :roll: Sorta like the quarter window trim on every 87-93 Mustang.

Quality is job 1

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i dont have that problem yet, an area i do have a problem is in the groves below my tailights, i think theres three of them, its fading in there

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
It seems like this was a problem up until around 1998 or so. I don't have that problem because Limiteds have paint there to begin with but I see it on A LOT of X's around town. Not much you can do about it other than to paint it.

Yeah. Ford changed the production build and quality starting with the 98's. One thing I'm sure we've all seen is Ford Taurus' from the early to mid 90's with faded paint on the hood and...well pretty much everywhere. It was poor paint quality. I remember reading an article sometime about how Ford changed the quality of the paint beginning in 98 with all their vehicles. Too many people had the same problems (gee, I wonder why).

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ya my 94 EB X I used to have had that problem, I took mine and had it painted to match the X. Ended up turing into something good in the long run.

So I say paint it to match the rest

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
As always it depends on how much money you can commit to this project.

Over $100.- for a professional job or $20.- for a can of black spray paint.

If you do it yourself use plenty of masking around area being painted.

I was also going to add; remove the explorer & Ford logo name plate as well as that ugly white sicker for a fresh clean look,
but then I noticed you said its not your ride.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had mine painted, but they were not fading, on of them had chiped paint so they painted all of them. Ever since nothing has faded. Watch out for the rear bolts that go into your rear windshield for the shocks. Those things rust all the time and the rust resadu gets on the rear window and looks bad. I replaced mine, it was 10 bucks for the bolts. But I got it at whosale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts