Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the process of switching fender flares and rocker panels and i took all the screws out from front and back, yet there are like little plastic button clip things-i think there are 2 on the rear flare part and some on the rocker panels. is there a trick to getting these things off? the front flares were easy they were just held on by screws. thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Pull really hard?

Can you acess them fron the back side and compress the clips? I have seen the clips on mine from the jack acess hole. Maybe if you get a look at them, you can see how they work.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah all you have to do is just pull real hard, they pop right out. Obviously use some common sense and caution.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright theres a new problem. the little piece between the front flare and rocker panel has a bolt in it so i took that out but its still attached somehow. also im afraid to really pull on the rockers cause im selling all these parts and dont want to ruin them. has anyone ever taken this stuff off?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
did you take a bolt off or a screw? is there a nut on the back of the moulding (behind the fender) did you take the fender liner loose from the fender and look behind the moulding?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had to use a socket to get it off. for the rear flare there is a bolt that keeps turning so im assuming there is a nut that i have to hold. and for the rockers should i just pull at them really hard? sorry for repetitive questions im just trying to find out how to do it right

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
where is the nut on the rear flare? (top, center, rear)

I believe that the rockers have the clips, they are hard to pull off and may brake, I know my friend got some at the salvage yard and most of the clips broke when he was taking them off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the nut is on the side farther from the rear bumper and closer to the bottom. i dont really care if the clips break because my new flares came with new clips i was just wondering if the flares will break because i am selling them.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Try to put some pressure on the flare (pull away from the nut) and try to unbolt the nut, the stud must be spinning. see if that helps.

did youre new flares come with the clips and bolts? check to see how they were mounted, the old ones should have the same kind of setup, that way you can see if they bolt on or clip on

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im gonna try this tomorrow in the daylight. the new flares came with all new clips. im guessing that i will use the existing bolts from these old flares. thanks for all your help

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i got the flares and rockers off so for any of you wondering what a sport looks like without flares or anything heres a pic. sorry its far away and crappy but i took it in a hurry.

im waiting to put my new flares on until i get an estimate on how much a paintjob will be.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You will have to take off the flares again when you get the paintjob, so you will need to get some more clips because some will break.

What do your new flares look like?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah im waiting to put the flares on until it gets painted unless i cant spend that much right now. also the flares came with new clips and i only broke like 2 of the old clips when i took them off. the flares are the bigger ones. ive always liked them better. they are black though and i dont think im painting them cause my X will be gray and im keeping the two toned look i think.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm glad that you got them off, and only braking 2 clips was pretty lucky. From the pic it looks pretty plain, the new flares will look real good on there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts