Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. After 10 years and 178k miles, I bought a new battery to replace, yes, the stock battery
In the past week when I would start the X, my radio stations were getting reset and my clock also kept resetting because I kept losing a connection. It sounded horrible when I started it also. Some days it hardly started taking almost 2 minutes to finally start. Other than that, this has obviously been a quality battery.

A battery wholesaler we know gave us about 50% off a $90 dollar battery. Its 850 volts on start compared to the 650 the stock was, and man, the engine starts really, really fast and at a higher RPM (not sure if thats a good thing)

We'll see how it works.

For some reason I couldnt get the cover on for the battery, so I skipped putting it on for now. I have no time to figure it out tonite, and I need the X for school tomarrow.

Im just curious though, how often are you supposed to change your battery?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
My question is, why the hell did you wait so long? That's what really stupifies me, more than the fact that your stock battery lasted that long.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob, for one thing I come from a family that knows absolutely nothing about cars. I know the most and Ive only takin two small engine classes. Also, Im not even sure my parents had realized that. No mechanics ever mentioned it and thats what they rely on. Besides, the X has run fine without changing it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Well that would explain it
But in all seriousness, if you were saying that you were having problems with your radio and so forth, your X did have problems and its obvious that you're now benefiting from replacing that battery.

Oh well....anyway I think under normal use changing your battery every ~60k miles is reasonable. If you're going to have a lot of things wired to your battery, especially a powerful sound system, then that is a must...and you'd be very smart to upgrade to something like an Optima (I think thats right) battery

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But in all seriousness, if you were saying that you were having problems with your radio and so forth, your X did have problems and its obvious that you're now benefiting from replacing that battery.
Like I had said, this just started about a week ago.

anyway I think under normal use changing your battery every ~60k miles is reasonable.
Wow, that means I should be on my third battery.
I honestly need alot more knowledge in engines. Hell, I didnt even know what the "V" in "V8" meant just 3 years ago.

Anyways, Im glad I finally got a battery! What a difference

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Like I had said, this just started about a week ago. ?

Whups I guess I missed that

Wow, that means I should be on my third battery.

Yeah I mean I'm not entirely positive that every 60k miles you should get a new battery is accurate, but it seems relatively reasonable. Hopefully someone who will know for sure will chime in here.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow I thought you just use batteries until they die. The battery in my '95 lasted for 7 years and ~60k miles. I thought that was good. I remember after it was replaced I was like "damn this sh*t starts fast." Well enjoy the new battery and not having to re-find your radio stations everyday.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A battery wholesaler we know gave us about 50% off a $90 dollar battery, Its 850 volts on start compared to the 650 the stock was, and man, the engine starts really, really fast and at a higher RPM

Just a correction:

your battery was and still is only 12volts, now what has changed is the CCA's (cold cranking amps) you have gone from a 650 to a 850 cca battery, which yes, it will give the beast the juice it needs, without damaging the starter.

R.I.P.

Your old Delco

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thats amazing that you got that many years out of the battery, you must have got a test vehicle
j/k , with all the miles and everthing lasting as long as it has you have been really lucky

my company Windstar has the original battery, it's a 99 with 81,000 miles on it and I have a computer, printer and battery charger (for the "AA" camera batteries) running in it all day, I usually leave the vehicle running all of the time since I work out of it (heater or a/c running) and I thought I was doing good with that battery.

I think you set a new record

·
Registered
107 Posts
just changed my ORIGINAL battery not long ago. those stock motorcraft batteries are quality! just shy of 8 years and 90-somthing thousand miles!.

i got stranded last summer camping on the beach at night w/ only a few trucks off in the distance to hit up for a jump. and i still squeezed another 6 months more out of it w/ (little) problems! i got an optima battery now and it cranks great!

drive w/ it until it drives no more! 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats what I would say, drive it until it wont start anymore. I have a Motorcraft battery and the thing starts right up, no problems at all even in very cold weather. (Well I do use a block heater when it gets 15 degrees and lower.) I probably wont replace it or upgrade it until I work on putting in a new sound system.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's interesting...my '97's original battery only lasted about 3 years. I was told that the factory batteries are cheap and don't last that long. Now you guys have just blown that theroy down the tubes. If I'm on the same path with this X that would mean I'll be replacing the battery by the end of this year. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive only heard great things about the Motorcrafts and obviously for me that was true. Was your stock battery a Motorcraft, Susie?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts