Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the switch last night, glossed up the tires and took some pics 8)

The tires are 255/70 Bridgstone Dueler A/T and the rims are 15x8 American Racing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
look's good..we changed over my dad's way to early..we had to go threw a month of winter till the road's finnaly dryed up

i like the tail light's!! they go nice with the rim's!!!

what size tires?(I.E. 28"? or 30"? that kinda thing..i still need to learn what exactly the mesurement's on tire's mean
)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks alot guys!!

Yea, I had to wait until we got the hauling with the rocks done before I could make the switch. I only go on pavement with those and no snow! :naughty:

I just had that discussion about tire sizes. I was wondering that too. As it turns out, the stock 235/75's that my winter tires are are about 28.8 inches and my current 255/70's are 29.1 inches plus they're wider with more tread. I can really hear them on the road. Check this link that MDPuckett84 showed me: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
They look great!! I can't wait to get a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos. I would get them in the 255/70R16 size though so I'd have a 30" tire like comes with the 4WD model of my Sport.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cool that looks shiny
I wish I had a couple sets of wheels and tires.

May I suggest removing the roof rack crossbars? I think the roof would flow better, especially with your visor and wing. It would make the wing stand out more if you did that. Just my opinion.

I want some of those Bridgestones. Are they good? I hate my Goodyear Wranglers. They have poor grip in snow. I will do one long burnout to give me an excuse to get different tires.......not.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right about the roof racks. I guess I really havent thought about those
Thanks for the input
But Im sure right when I take them off, Ill need them

Yea, the Duelers are awesome, except that I dont use them the way they're meant to be used but the tread is pretty thick and drives great on the road. Ive had them for a year and 1/2 and about 15k miles and hardly a trace of wear

·
Registered
9,243 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL

Actually, I was going to reupholster it. There was a thread here a while back that I cant find about it. I shoulda bookmarked it :doh:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
8O that looks really good
You really got that thing shineing

The only thing is you better get on that little rust spot on youre rocker or it wont be little for much longer

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
8O that looks really good
?You really got that thing shineing
?

The only thing is you better get on that little rust spot on youre rocker or it wont be little for much longer
Thanks! Is it that noticeable
I really do though, soon!

Rob I tried last night but the engine wasnt working right. I even typed Explorer and nothing showed up
Its workin now though so I dont know what happened but I found it

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Thanks! Is it that noticeable ?I really do though, soon! ?
I didn't even see it until it was pointed out. But Brad's right, you really do need to get that taken care of soon or else you will have an even larger rust problem on your hands.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I noticed the Rust, but I'm sure Andy was aware of it
I am beginning to fix the rust on my step bars and rear bumper. It isn't to bad, but one more Minnesota winter, and there might not be any possibility of saving them. The step bars are basicly rusting from the inside out.
I don't want to buy new ones either. (Note: because my sister will be driving the Ex, the parents will not allow removal of step bars.) I don't mind them, but they do get my pants dirty sometimes. :roll:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt even notice the rust on the pics. Thanks for noticing guys!!

You should have seen my step bars. I took them off last summer because the rust was so bad. When I took off the "Explorer" plastic insert, a hole was right through both of them about the size of a silver dollar. I was able to bend them in half with just my hands so they could fit in the garbage. Thats how bad mine were!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I can't wait until mine are that bad. :roll: I hope all my hard work can make them last a little longer. There was some rust around where each clip snaps in. I have ground it off and primered it though. I broke two of the bolts for the endcaps when pulling those off. I hate rust, because even if I think I have eliminated it all, it will still return.

Most likely, if you take your Ex into the shop for the rust, they will cut out the section and weld in a new one. That is really the only way to completely eliminate rust.

·
Registered
170 Posts
they need to stop using salt where you are
..they stoped using it here back in the early 80's..my dad's 84 ranger has only 2 SMALL spot's of rust now..they use this other stuff that does not hurt anything(or so they say)..so nothing here has rust anymore..unless it's from out of state or it's older then 82

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
They use this blue stuff on our roads. It is probably still salt, but I still swerve around the spots where there is a ton spread on the road. I personally don't think they need to put anything on the roads. I don't have any trouble in the snow

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, I hate salt. Im soooo glad its over. The X could be much worse though so Im not to PO'd about it.

What exactly do they use in AK?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Well it (the rust sopt) just stood out because everything else looks so nice. I really hate to see you get a hole, once it goes all of the way through it's a never ending battle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts