Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 97 EB and of course the owner didn't know the code for the keypad on the door. Does anybody know how to find this out?

Also, it only came with one key fob, I would like to get another off ebay. I used to know the procedure for programming those things but I have long since forgot. Something like turn the key in the ignition off and on or something... any help?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think there's a procedure that you can follow that is outlined in the user's manual. I think in there it tells you how to change the code, etc. I don't know for sure because I've never had to do it. Worse comes to worse I'm sure you could have a Ford dealer reset it?
:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know this for sure but I heard that the code is printed on the inside of the panel in the back of the Explorer on the driver side. It's in the panel that houses the jack (at least that's where it is on my 96.) It's supposedly ahead of the rear window washer reservoir.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I believe that's where it is. It's a white sticker and it's pretty hard to see. Some people use a dentists mirror to see the code.

About the key fob, you turn it 8 times from the "off" position to the "on" position and then hit the button on the key fob. Get the FCC ID off of the key fob that you have and match it to the one you're looking at on Ebay. Most Ebay sellers will send instructions with it, anyway. Mine did.

G

·
haha, no, u know were the jack is in the back of the x, in that compartment, well if u look in the back of it like twards the drivers seat, theres a metal box, thats the alarm system and keybad computer. It says it right on the computer box, theres a white sticker

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Nice pic TAS, once you find it and enter the code you can changed it to what ever code you want it to be. You can also make the door locks automaticly lock when you put it in drive.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
You can also make the door locks automaticly lock when you put it in drive.

Doesn't it do that by default anyway? At least it does for me.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
[..]

Doesn't it do that by default anyway? At least it does for me.

It does but you can change it so that it wont lock automaticly, since his is used it may have been changed already.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I just got a used one..and I found that thing in the back but can not read it at all..ne other thing i could use to be able to read it other than a dentist mirror?
Grab a digital camera, aim in the general direction, and take a picture?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I actually went through the manual which did not help at all since it was only in French! But to my luck stuck inbetween pages was a little card that had the code written on it!

So now that I have the code, how can I change it to a number I want? (keep in mind I can't read the manual because it is french...).

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I actually went through the manual which did not help at all since it was only in French!

Oye Vaye! Did you try calling the Ford dealer nearest you for those instructions?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Or the French Embassy?

I was going to mention the plastic card before since I also have one but I assumed you didn't have it so glad it worked out.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

It does but you can change it so that it wont lock automaticly, since his is used it may have been changed already.
Yeah, I changed mine as soon as I got it because I could just see myself getting locked out somehow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried to contact my Ford Dealer but they tell me I need it to be bring it in for a certified technician to take care of! Which of course is ridiculous... Most likely the counter guy has no idea how to do it himself so assumes that I couldn't do it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A google search got me this info:

To program a personal access code:

l. Enter the permanent code on the keyless entry keypad.

2. Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds of last digit of permanent

code. (This alerts system to accept temporary code.)

3. Enter alternate 5-digit code. Do not exceed 5 seconds between

entering digits or between pressing the 1/2 button and entering the

first digit.

I guess I will try it out when I get home from work...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
A google search got me this info:

To program a personal access code:

l. Enter the permanent code on the keyless entry keypad.

2. Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds of last digit of permanent

code. (This alerts system to accept temporary code.)

3. Enter alternate 5-digit code. Do not exceed 5 seconds between

entering digits or between pressing the 1/2 button and entering the

first digit.

I guess I will try it out when I get home from work...

:uhoh: Makes it sound as difficult as defusing a bomb. "Do not exceed a second, otherwise the bomb will explode"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts