Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was just wondering if there was a good way to eliminate the X's rear end sag even with 200+ pounds of stereo equiptment. I want to eventually lower it 1.5" - 2". Should i just buy a kit and lower the front more than the rear? Can anybody suggest a good kit? I saw the one on EE that lowers it 1 3/8", it says 2 door-4 camber adjusters only, does that mean thats all i need? Thanks a lot for any input.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If you plan on lowering it later on then you best bet is buying lowering blocks to whatever drop you want, then lower the front via the "Torsion Twist" to even it out.

The reason the EE kit for sports says camber adjusters only is because sports use a monoleaf spring in the back(not sure which years) and "sag" more thatn 4doors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So im gonna buy the lowering kit from EE and do the torsion twist in the front. I read the how to and it seams pretty easy to do. Now my only worry is how the ride quality is going to be. Will it be a lot differerent than stock? What would be the next step to smoothe out the ride after i lower? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
New shocks. Definitely new shocks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Autotek: Here's the deal. If you do the full package (lowering, bushings, swaybar and shocks) you really won't notice much of a difference in ride quality. It will be firmer, and handle MUCH better, but as far as overall ride quality, you won't loose much. The ride quality will be affected more by your wheel/tire package and shocks. If you are still running factory shocks you will want to trash those as soon as you can after you lower it. The rear won't be much of a problem since the opperating height of the shock isn't changed by the lowering, but the front is and will become real bouncy real fast! My front shocks were fine at first, but have degraded quickly since lowering. Install the Edelbrock IAS shocks when you lower it and you will be set.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ive heard good things bout the IAS shocks, are they somethign that would make a good improvment over stock ride and handling even with out lowering ? like juts to replace the stock ones.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Are they 'just fine' or as good as what nnnick said they were? Just curious.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lowering the front by way of a orsion twist sounds like what you need. Our ZD5630A kit will do the trick. You will get the camber adjusters, alignment specs, detailed instructions and all of the tech support you will need. It is a good idea to plan on upgrading the front bump stops/rear bumpers (ZD5617 $89.95) as well as the Edelbrock Shocks and X Spec Sway Bar.

If you do not want to lower the front we have a few other options. We now carry the Monroe Load Leveling Shocks that have built in coil-over springs. We use these foe Explorers that carry heavy loads. They will give you about .50"-.75" lift at the rear. We also carry the Air Lift load leveling kit. This will raise the rear end by way of air bags and has no negative effect on ride quality.

Let me know if you have any questions.

G

·
what about add-a-leafs, i was thinking about putting an add-a-leaf in mine to just get the rear end to stop sagging....let me know on that...also, if u know of a good cheap place to get them send that my way too if u could...thanx

G

·
Hey John, How much do those load leveling shocks run? Do they provide any worse ride than Edlebrock/multi-leaf on a sport? Got rid of most of the butt sag with the multi-leaves(or is it leafs
: 8) ) Or I might just go with that reversed rake, pre-runner look :!:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I guess John doesn’t’ want me to add my input as far as the AIS shocks are concerned,

My lowered Mountaineer has received titty twist, camber adjusters, new front KYB shocks (not happy w/KYB may go with Bilistein or Doetsch front);

I have a 1 ¾ drop in the rear and recomend the Monroe air leveling, reason: When I go on trips and have three adults in back with cargo carrier on roof & the rear lowered, it often hits the bump stops when I encounter any irregularities in the road, so to eliminate this all I have to do is add a little air. presto level ride.

Good luck with you toy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have trailmaster 4-ways in the back, they are a push-pull coilover spring design. they totally eliminated the saggy ass i used to get when loading up my truck, and improved handling. also it never bottoms out in the back, even off-road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts