Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the XP8 from Muscoda, Wisconsin this past weekend and drove it the 1100 miles plus to Newport News, VA. The truck preformed perfectly, although it didn't pass too many gas stations along the way. I think I averaged about 15-18 miles per gallon highway. It was in good condition when I picked it up, no surprises. It had the usual wear and tear items, interior was dirty but not seriously worn. The windshield was cracked and has since (today) been replaced. I found documents from at least 3 previous owners in the glove compartment (oil changes, etc) and contacted two of them for more information. The tires will be replaced on Friday, as well as a coolant/engine flush and brake job. Overall the truck is in great condition, no real evidence of abuse with the exception of a trailer hitch installed and trailer brake control box mounted below the dash. Mileage seems to be correct and sensible (61,000). Things I have to have looked at: fog lights inoperative, MACH subwoofer in rear inoperative, engine tune up. I ordered a performance chip from a company recommended by this website and hopefully will correct some very sloppy shifting in the AOD. Now to the questions, I would be interested in hearing from you all as to what mods were made to the explorer to make it an XP8, aside from the obvious. What about options for the 98? Also, could someone take some pics of the Recaro optional seats, logo area as well as the rear seats? I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, to see interior XP8 shots with the Recaro interior check out Joe's 2000XP8 that I saw/rode in person, the article with many pictures are here:

http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...=showpage&pid=6

That is really really awesome that you had no surprises and mostly everything is in great condition. Aside from the body kit, I believe since you don't have the supercharger installed (but I could be wrong) it is more or less a stock performance wise XLT. However it does have the Saleen sway bars, Bilstein shocks/struts relabeled as Racecraft performance (Saleen's own "brand"), and I believe also polyurethane bushings/bumpstops.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Honestly, he got a great deal on it regardless. For the money, that thing could've had 4 flat tires and a missing door. Glad it worked out!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
One of these days I'll get around to it too......I hate the way mine shifts. It still slips, hasn't gotten any worse, from 2-3 when I get on it. That's mostly when it's cold, though. I know it's just an adjustment (I have a link around somewhere) I have to make when I install the shift kit but it's annoying as hell. So, I know what you mean about sloppy shifting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Powerdyne Supercharger (aftermarket) installed, as well as the Saleen hood and carbon kit. I believe that someone spent a little bit of hard earned cash fixing some non-selected options. The chip is from Apten Performance (thanks for the tip Rob!). I spoke to Bob, one of the programmers this afternoon. I ran the Diablo chip in my Lightning and was very impressed with it and told Bob this. He convinced me that their programming was at least on par, if not better than the Diablo, and at a reasonable price (I think it was around $275.00 plus shipping). I will let everyone know how it works out! My major concern was the tranny shifting, and hopefully this helps out. I will DEFINATELY look into the Baumann kit, thanks very much for the tip! I had asked about the Recaro option (was it available in 1998?) because I plan on buying a set of Recaro Trends (what Saleen used) and possibly have the logo stitched in. I haven't decided, I don't want to "cheat" but there is no better looking interior than the Recaro Option, and as you all know, its impossible to find. The foglights are another matter, I have no idea why they don't work, but gee, perhaps a housing full of water might be exactly the problem! Unbelievable! lol If I wasn't such a Ford/Saleen fan, I might have to make a disparaging remark...hehe. Oh, I also talked to Bob at Saleen today about parts for the XP8. When the laughter died down, he did have some tips reference decal kits, shock replacements, etc. I don't think they thought through the issue on parts discontinuation on a very popular, albiet low production, Saleen product. Anyone interested in putting together a business proposition to reproduce some parts and give Saleen the credit??

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I won't name the person, but more or less someone is working on hopefully making an exact replica of the XP8 bodykit. Thank...friggin...god...

It's pretty sad when you ask for replacement parts from the original manufacturer and you get LAUGHED at. Just pitiful. Focking Saleen. GREAT idea with the Recaro interior, btw. As far as the fogs, also check the wiring. My guess is it's gone to hell, and the fuse would be worth looking as well. Personally I'd just NOT bother trying to replace the fogs, as Joe has gone through A LOT and its expensive to consistently replace!!

I'm really glad you went with the Apten chip...you'll definitely be impressed and satisfied. I plan on buying one myself VERY soon. I'm well overdue for one. Overall you made out like a BANDIT with this XP8, I still have to slap myself in the face to realize that you got it for 14k I believe. Ugh! You suck!

Keep us updated, oh, and snap some pictures!!!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Saleen fan, are you sure those guys at apten know you have the supercharger? I would think they don't really want to mess with much, any supercharger on a 5.0 with 19 lb. injectors is already stressing the fuel system, and if they change the timing it very well may cause a lean condition, that's why i haven't gotten a chip yet.

From my research of more performance for my explorer, and my knowledge from having my 5.0 mustang for 10 years, I'd say you need at least 24lb injectors to make it run right if they in fact change any performance aspect of the motor. 24lb injectors requires a new MAF and bigger fuel pump, and the chip (chip is required here).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get some pictures snapped as soon as the tires are on and post them. Any suggestions on websites to do this with? I noticed that Joe uses cardomain, is that a good choice? Oh, my name is Dave actually, I always have to laugh a little about using our "handles" to chat with...had enough of that in 20 years of Army tanker life..lol. Joe, I told Apten that I did have a supercharger and you are right on the money about the possibility of a lean condition. We spoke about that and the chip will only increase HP about 10-15, no more and Bob told me that it would not stress the fuel system drastically. I told him I was more interested in the shift points and low end torque and wasn't trying to build a race car. I will keep an eye on it when its installed. Maybe larger injectors and the rest are in the future, let me know what you decide to do and how it works out. Rob, glad to hear that someone is putting the Saleen kit together. Hopefully some of the rest of the Saleen XP8 accessories will also come along!
And I did get a killer deal, didn't I?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Follow up on the EBAY XP8 and a few questions for the cr

SO here we are,

my first post, I own 99-13 and it has the same foglight problem, I can keep a few fish in it!

I replaced them for some PIAA Lights, and replaced the standard frameowrk for some heay steel frames and it works great.

I bought the driving lights, as I do need some extra light on this truck when dring in Poland in the wintertime for my work and on the German autobahn they are very usefull as well in the night. they are expensive but give great light.

If you still want some pics from the seats, just email me and I will send you a few, BTW I am so lucky I have a spare set brand new front seats! just bougt them this august off Ebay, and 1 full saleen body kit plus an extra rear and front bumper.

Hennie

[email protected]

·
Registered
19,808 Posts

Hennie, what would you want for the bodykit? Or seats?

·
Registered
171 Posts
well rob...... let me think....

No they are not for sale, I just keep them as spare parts for my own truck, just in case..

Hennie

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Saleenfan: You could sign up as Elite here and you'd have 15mb of storage space for your pics.

Hennie: We REALLY need some pics from you, too.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
[..]

Thanks Joe ?

Sorry tommy, my truck is now extra dirty on the outside, and every time i look at it, i think of you, you anal bastard. Then i feel guilty. But the weather is so up and down cleaning is may be worthless at the moment.

So i figured i'd make you feel bad too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update on 98-0023, I took her in for state inspection and brake check, I am going to end up replacing rear rotors and pads (figured), right side lower ball joint (gonna do both lower to make sure she aligns properly) and while they were changing the tires they found a rather ominous crack in the front right wheel along the edge.
So.....I decided to order a new set of Speedlines from Tirerack, although I couldn't get white, had to go with Lt. Gray. What do you guys think? I am still going to try to locate another white rim through some sources, would appreciate any help you all could give as well.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Re: Follow up on the EBAY XP8 and a few questions for the cr

Send the broken wheel here http://calchrome.com/ if anyone can fix it, he can.

About you new wheels, are the actual saleens? Or just speedlines.

IMO don't use replicas or wheels that weren't made for saleen.

I realize they may look mostly the same, but you do own a real xp8, so keep it all that way, until otherwise impossible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts