Explorer Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have Ford Explorer 2010 XLT 4.0 Litre V6 4WD. Recently my car developed a fault wherein it would completely shutdown on low speeds and would jerk while on low gears specially on reversing. This happens after few minutes of slow drive not on high speed. Couple of time specially taking right turns @ 30Km/hr approx the car completely switched off with steering lock , yet when i close ignition and open again the car would start and drive normally. I recently checked the ford center in Dubai UAE and they said that i need to replace PCW/Engine controller. However they dont have the part anywhere here. The Car still runs ok ish. Ford says that the part no is 9L2712A650FDRM matching my vehicle which is out of stock. Please advise what i can do and if needed where i can find this part.
Please help as i need the car to be working ASAP.

Chassis/VIN # is 1FMEU7DE7AUB12616
Ford Explorer 2010 XLT V6 4.0lt
6 Cyl 4.0L SOHC EFI; 5-Speed Automatic Transmission 5R55S; Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time); Regular Wagon

Rgds

Zafar

·
Registered
23 Posts
your 2010 model year is not that old. Parts are readily available.
Out of stock means that the dealer and the local distributor and the next level distributor don't have that part in stock. The part needs to be ordered by them.
Or you might be able to Google the part number and order it yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,

Actually i have been looking but so far found nothing. Ebay has few matching but not the exact part # 9L2712A650FDRM. Do you know some website where i can find this.

Rgds

Zafar

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I doubt that you need the PCM/ECM engine controller. That is often just a sort of generic guess by shops that don't know what is wrong, to try to sell a high profit item that is quick to install for maximum profit.

I could be wrong but given the symptoms, I wonder if you have something wrong as simple as a failing power steering pump. I state this because at low speeds there may be more drag on the engine from a pump with shot bearings and especially when at load during turning.

You might be able to check that by looking at the steering pump pulley for wobble or excess noise, or taking the belt off and seeing if it rotates smoothly by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi J_C,

I dont have the CAR with me so cant check your suggestion and its with a 3rd party service company and they are doing inspection. Today they said that the Exhaust sensor is faulty thus the Check Engine light is always on and they couldn't find anything else wrong with Car. I doubt that as well because I did replace all 4, 2 upstream and 2 down stream oxygen sensor 1 year back. As per Ford Service to whom i gave the CAR initially, the PCM is bad and need replacement.

As per your suggestion i can ask the 3rd party service tech to check power steering as well because it has become stiffer over the years and not exactly as smooth as it use to be. I will keep you guys posted. Thx

Rgds

Zafar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi J_C,

I dont have the CAR with me so cant check your suggestion and its with a 3rd party service company and they are doing inspection. Today they said that the Exhaust sensor is faulty thus the Check Engine light is always on and they couldn't find anything else wrong with Car. I doubt that as well because I did replace all 4, 2 upstream and 2 down stream oxygen sensor 1 year back. As per Ford Service to whom i gave the CAR initially, the PCM is bad and need replacement.

As per your suggestion i can ask the 3rd party service tech to check power steering as well because it has become stiffer over the years and not exactly as smooth as it use to be. I will keep you guys posted. Thx

Rgds

Zafar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Post J_C comment I gave the car to a local Mechanic and advise to look for Power steering pump who was sure that the rough idle and sudden stoppage on right turns was due to Spark plus, and few oxygen sensors. Got it changed and after spending almost $1000 the issue appears again. Got frustrated and started googling. Bought a OBD2 connector and Downloaded forscan and it gave the attached result. Please advise before i make another false conclusion.
Ford tells me I need to change Engine Controller and EGR, and vacuum hoses. How can you tell that Engine controller is indeed faulty?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would check the purge valve for correct position powered and unpowered, check for the coil resistance to it and for any shorts in the positive power lead, check for vac leaks at the line to it or the charcoal cannister, even check for a gas cap that does not seal well. This is difficult to advise remotely because fewer things are suspects based on particular tests or the reading from the tank pressure sensor to indicate if it has vacuum.

You can also look at long term fuel trim to see if there is a lean fuel to air ratio, possibly caused by a leak (or purge valve stuck) in the evap system. This is probably all the help I can provide and it is up someone to check things in person. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi J_C,

I ran some parameter test as you suggested. i selected whatever i understood. Please see the attached image. Also attached the new error codes. This time no Purge Valve issue.I also checked the Fuel hose visually and it looked properly closed.
Thanks for your help. I intend to see voltage reading on EGR and Purge valve as i saw on youtube to see if they are ok. Any suggestions would help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm more "hands on" and find it frustrating to diagnose over the internet, so I am not much help to you. What little i see of your info is the long term fuel trims are borderline high, which is a very common problem that typically indicates either a low fuel pressure or a vac leak.

Fuel pressure is easy to check yourself with a pressure gauge. Vac leaks, are a more daunting process of checking all vac lines coming from the intake manifold, some can be found with a "smoke test" and others pinching lines or pulling and plugging them, others by spraying starter fluid around the intake manifold gaskets.

Intake manifold gaskets are a known wear item on this engine. If all other troubleshooting turns up nothing then I would replace those, but what is a "common" problem is not a consolation to you if that is not your problem. At least if you DIY that repair, the gaskets themselves are not expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I understand J_C. You have been a great help in at-least ruling out the Non-Issues. So far all my research over the internet points to a Vacuum leak. Here is the updated log i took yesterday. Surprisingly the LTFT didn't go above 10% throughout the short drive and the STFT always stayed negative.
One thing that i would still seek your help with. Ford insist that my Engine computer is bad and even said i had the wrong part. I took it out and saw it was 9L2A12A650FD exactly matching my Model and Trim so dont know. I took it out cleaned the pins and connectors and no change to the faults. Its doesn't smells as burned, connectors looks fine as well.
Can you suggest me as to what are the definitive steps one can take to conclude if Engine computer is bad. Is there a Code for Bad engine computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. changed the PCM and the car is driving normally no issues. However i am now getting P-0443 Purge Valve circuit code. OBD2 interfaces says fault confirmed. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update. changed the PCM and the car is driving normally no issues. However i am now getting P-0443 Purge Valve circuit code. OBD2 interfaces says fault confirmed. Any suggestion?
Hi,
I am facing the same issue with my 2010 explorer, PCM is not available in Saudi market as well, from where did you buy it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts