Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L and I have noticed it has been getting very poor gas mileage. When I got the car about a year ago, it would get about 325 Miles to a tank. Right now, I am getting about 200 miles to a tank. I have replaced the easy stuff like air filters, and things like that. It runs fine just trying to figure it out. I hate spending $40-$50 on a tank of gas for it to only last like 4 or 5 days, if that. Let me know what you think it could be because I need to get it fixed as I do not make a ton of money. Is it needing a tune up or fuel injectors? Willing to try anything because I can't afford spending this much on gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like it's running rich. Cause could be several things.
Do you have an OBD2 scanner to read TroubleCodes?
If not go to a local part store, have them read the codes for you, be sure to write down the numbers.
16~18MPG is typical for the V6~4.0l~SOHC, so you've definitely got a problem.
Could be a vacuum leak, causing the PCM to run the engine rich.
Could be a bad O2 Sensor.
Could be bad spark plugs\coil\wires.
Could be an EGR or PCV problem.
Could be a bad DPFE or MAF or TPS sensor.
Could be the Tranny is slipping.
Do you have a CheckEngineLamp?
Really need to read the TroubleCodes to start figuring it out.
17yr old vehicle likely needs some maintenance items addressed, if you or previous owner haven't done so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a 2004 XLS Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC engine. I bought it used and have always had my mileage between 12 mpg and just under 15 mpg. Since I only drive around 4000 miles/year, I am not worried about that mileage which is all around town and local dirt roads, but if there is a simple fix to improve it, I am all ears.....

My only Check Engine Code is P0453 which appears to be a sensor in the fuel tank but not worth replacing the entire fuel tank assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your Explorer is old enough that it would benefit from new O2 sensors. I had a 4.6L V8 2004 that got better mileage than you are getting. Around town it routinely got 15, 18-20 on the highway. You do not say how many miles it has, but if your compression is down, you might not improve it much..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts