Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one thing that I have found to be displeasing in Ford Explorers is the Ford Stock AM/FM radio/CD/Tape players. Everyone in the four of my Explorers has had display problems(ie: no display at all, looking as if not on) or display has said "Bad" and nothing will work unless negative cable on battery was disconnected then reconnected to reset the power, then it would work untill a CD was put in and the car was turned off with the cd still playing and you'd come back and it would say "Bad" yet again...through research I have found this to be a problem since the begining of 1996 Explorers on up, also on Mountainer and Taurus. I would think Ford would learn that this is a very common problem and would strive to fix it. Some average everyday people make buttloads of money on just fixing these systems. I am sure even car companies are quite annoyed with this issue, by it hurting their sales. All I have to say is something needs to be done about this.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I've honestly never heard of this problem with Ford's but I don't doubt your words. Just remember that every car manufacturer hits the middle ground in terms of overall product quality. It's too expensive to get high performance tires or offroading tires, so they give us the middle ground tires. It's too expensive to give us Edelbrock shocks or Bilsteins out of the factory, so they give us shocks that will only suffice for normal driving.

My point is that no one is satisfied with stock sound systems, and thats why people spend the extra money afterwards and upgrade it all from the hood to the hatch. They're simply trying to keep costs down and compromising quality with affordability.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The display problem is very common. I had it, as well. I agree that if a problem exists, the manufacturer should correct. Best thing to do is just replace it with an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Incase your not familiar with the issue check this guys site on eBay (not trying to throw him any business): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2452556180

Check his reviews/feedback to see how many people are having these problems and use guys like him to make their repairs to their CD/am/fm players. So as you can see this is a very pervasive problem as WilsontheDog also said. I understand from an electronics tech. the problem is an obvious design flaw, it’s under wattage resistors placed to close to the circuit board and over heating other components near by, it would be very easy for ford to redesign it and correct the problem rather then let the problem continue through multiple model years. And while aftermarket sounds system may be an alternative, they should not be necessary considering the money that is spent on the Ford sound system. Ford should step up and fix their problem..if only for customer satisfaction with their product.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
And while aftermarket sounds system may be an alternative, they should not be necessary considering the money that is spent on the Ford sound system. Ford should step up and fix their problem..if only for customer satisfaction with their product. ?

You're absolutely right about that, not a doubt in my mind. BTW I'm impressed with your knowledge of the audio wiring, etc...I learned something new today :D Anyway, I had no idea that the problem is this big! Shame on Ford!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The stereo headunits are made by Visteon. For the most part they are all crap and the in-dash 6-disc is the worst!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
And while aftermarket sounds system may be an alternative, they should not be necessary considering the money that is spent on the Ford sound system. Ford should step up and fix their problem..if only for customer satisfaction with their product.

I agree completely. I'm an old car audiophile so I automatically remove all parts of a stock sound system when I get a new vehicle so that's where my thinking was when I typed that.

I think the problem here is that it isn't a safety issue and we all know that any auto manufacturer won't be motivated to fix a problem unless there's a safety issue (i.e. potential for a huge lawsuit).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I partially agree with you all on changing the stock system to a custom one of your choosing, but not all buyers of these three cars have the money to be spending on that and just would like the simple route.
Very true and the Explorer system is actually a pretty good one (premium sound, anyway). I thought it sounded pretty good before I upgraded.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I think the OEM systems sound great for OEM. The problem with the systems is the headunits. They are crap.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Geez guys I guess I have been fortunate.....3 Explorers, 2 of which had 6-disc CD players (95, 97, 02) and never had a problem with any of the OEM audio equipment.

Sorry, don't know what else to say. I would think that with my luck that I would have had at least one problem. Guess I can thank my lucky stars on this one. Expecially since my audio system is over 2 years old right now
I'm perfectly satisfied with the 290 watt, 8 speaker, 6-disc CD player and it's output.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Susie the '95 and '97 changers were in the console and I never heard of problems with those. I really would watch out for your in-dash though. If there ever comes a time where you can't get a CD it's probably dead. Just be careful with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts