Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's only a few red ones, if Liz ever gets back to me, i'll try and find out how many. There was a real nice red one on ebay a few months back, but the knumbnuts had a bug guard on the front, if you use it for protection, you should at least respect the xp8 and use a clear one.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI

When you buy an XP8 brand new from the dealer after that production year is over Saleen sends you in the mail a letter telling you how many XP8 where made like yours and in total. In 98 with the options my X came with there where 8 others the same.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yes, i'm well aware, tommy.

So how do you think saleen handled mine, when i called to confirm it's authenticity, they said it didn't exist. Then they called me back and apologized, and said mine did exist. Then they insisted mine was the last one ever, but then i see a number 31 of the year 2000 on ebay, so i call again, and they didn't realize that one was out there. Liz claims the info on the last few were kept seperate for some reason. Luckily all the info is built into the vin, so i could really check, i didn't trust them at all. When i insured it, the insurance company new already it was a saleen without me telling them yet, because i was truely afraid, if i wrecked it, i was only going to get the cost of a xlt. I almost accused the seller of mine of lying, man that would of been bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay, question... I'm a newbie X owner (99 Sport). Where can I get good body kits for it? I love the kit on the Saleen. I'm looking for the front bumper and front skirt mainly.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Unfortunately you're out of luck with the Saleen body kit. The molds have been destroyed and Saleen completely halted production of body kit pieces. Even the real XP8 owners are screwed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Damn. That figures. I've actually been wanting to get into the art of custom mold making. Then hand laying fiberglass. (The process similar to had laid boat hull making). Making the initial mold is extremely tedious though. I'd love to get my hands on a good kit to make the mold from. That would be optimum.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Damn. ?That figures. ?I've actually been wanting to get into the art of custom mold making. ?Then hand laying fiberglass. ?(The process similar to had laid boat hull making). ?Making the initial mold is extremely tedious though. ?I'd love to get my hands on a good kit to make the mold from. ?That would be optimum.
Well, all the more power to you if you ever have the resources and motivation to do so!

·
Registered
67 Posts
let me give you the lo' down on this truck fellas! i live in chicago and actually drove it. it was sitting at a local dealer near me in april '02. i was actually going to buy it, but they wanted too much for it($36,000). i then went and bought my 99-017 xp8. anyway when i looked at it, the truck only had 8,000 miles on it. therefore the seller drove the truck 21,000 miles in less than 2 years.

the color of the truck is toreador red. when i called liz at saleen to verify authenticity, she told me it was the only truck made in that color for 2000. i have seen other xp8's in red, but i really don't know if ford made a different color red for the explorer. i am just going by what liz said. the truck is very plain(no carbon fiber mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, or any other accents). it only has a carbon fiber hood as an option. though he might have added options. the truck also has chrome rims. they look awesome on a red truck!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, thanks for joining and that cool info! Man so not only did you get to test drive one but you ended up buying a different XP8! So, whats the stats on yours? Any pics? Hope to see ya around!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts